• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Completed 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A TARPS Tomcat

NSX_Guy

Time of death: 14:27, Sunday January 18, 2015. A few more hours, and it would have been me they called.

Well, as my thread over in the introductions forums stated, I've recently returned to the hobby after an extended absence; I won't go into details here, but if you care to read about the last seven years of my life, follow this link:

https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/introduction-forum/149740-i-m-jumping-back-into-the-hobby-after-a-long-time

This kit. Oh boy, this kit. I got this from my father for Christmas 1998, which was in the middle of my most fervent building stage. I started it sometime in1999 only to be distracted by other, shinier things like WRC cars and so on. It's been shelved for well more than 12 years always waiting patiently for me to return and find the right moment(s) to build her.

Let's have a quick recap of what's happened between when I started this kit and today, when I finished it.

Three presidents Clinton, Dubya and Obama
September 11
The pursuant skirmish
The advent of the modern Internet
Michael Jackson was cool
Michael Jackson was a molestor
Michael Jackson was dead
Michael Jackson is cool again?!?!
Putin rose to power, French Canadians were confused as they'd always loved poutine.
The Euro was introduced
Social media. I'm looking at you Facebook.
Regan dies
The boxing day tsunami
They caught Hussein.
They caught Bun Laden
They still haven't left the sandbox.

So needless to say, I had to pick this kit as I was tired moving the box every time we bought a new house and I felt up for a challenge. This airframe 161272 was in. Service for a little more than eight months in this paint scheme, so needless to say reference photos were kind of scarce, so I decided that I would enjoy the build and not let it big me down too much. This worked for the most part until yesterday.

The decals were, um, challenging, but with the help of My good friend Scrodes, I had some Mr. Mark Softer come to the rescue, and really saved this kit from another 12 years of neglect.

I think the glazing came from another kit, I had to do all sorts of modifications to make the canopy and lights fit, it was terrible. I expected to sit down yesterday

for two hours, put on the pitot tubes and canopies and go upstairs for a beer shortly after. 6 harried hours later I emerged, more frustrated than ever.

This kit (Hasegawa 07080) was built mostly OOB, with the exception of Verlinden ejection seats, primed with Alclad primer, pre-shaded with black, sprayed with Testors enamels, Alclad Clear gloss and Finished with Testors dull cote. After all that, a generous wash with Vallejo acrylic washes.

Overall, with the exception of fitting the clear parts, this kit wasn't as bad as its reputation had made it out to be with one exception: there don't seem to be any locator pins anywhere. Dry fitting was an exercise in futility and gluing it required a level of faith I'm sure would challenge the Pope (also changed since this kit was started)

I won't go on any further, and I'm not as satisfied with this kit as many of my pre-hiatus efforts, but I'll now reward you with pictures of the final product.

Thanks!

hfb6bb59.jpg

h6ec83b8.jpg

h76463ac.jpg

h7af32b6.jpg

h0d83c51.jpg

hfa44e52.jpg

h5906048.jpg

h78fd8e2.jpg

hf98b6a5.jpg

hca95bcf.jpg

I think the F-14 looks grand, and I hope your father is around to see the wonderful gift he gave you completed.
It didn't take you all that long; I've got a Hasegawa 1/48 Stuka still in the works from 1993. That was three wives ago. :blush:

Looks good buddy, Yet another build of yours with 4 wheels. Almost has as much airtime as some of those rally cars you managed to finish.

I hear it 'looks dirty'?

Photo 3 is keeping up foreign relations.

Thanks for the kind words guys. McLeod, I have a hard enough time affording the wife I have, never mind three that were cut from the squad.

I hear it 'looks dirty'?

Photo 3 is keeping up foreign relations.

Yes, it looks dirty. What a shame. The background on this comment, when I showed my wife the plane yesterday in its nearly completed state her reaction was "it looks dirty, it would look better if it was shiny like your cars"

Also, you stole my de facto response when I noticed that picture was upside down.

Thanks for the kind words gents. I pulled out my Tamiya F-15C this afternoon with the Big ED kit and Verlinden seat today. I think that's next on the chopping block. Hopefully this one will take less than a decade to complete.

It looks like I need to take some actual pictures with a real camera before I lock the kit away in the display case, the iPad camera looks like it has glaucoma.

Very nice work. The F-14 is by far & away my favorite aircraft. I remember as a kid in San Diego, riding in the car down I-5 passing Miramar, watching the F-14's do touch & goes. Will always be something I remember.

Very nice work. The F-14 is by far & away my favorite aircraft. I remember as a kid in San Diego, riding in the car down I-5 passing Miramar, watching the F-14's do touch & goes. Will always be something I remember.
Thank you! High praise coming from you.

It's always been one of my favorite planes too, and your memory sounds like one right out of Top Gun. You weren't riding a Kawasaki Ninja while seeing this were you?

It's always been one of my favorite planes too, and your memory sounds like one right out of Top Gun. You weren't riding a Kawasaki Ninja while seeing this were you?

He doesn't remember because of the tree gymnastics..... :drunk

I got a feeling that's an inside joke but I'm already making up a story for it. :drink :drunk

Haha, no, no Kawasaki. I was 2 weeks short of my 6th birthday when Top Gun was released, but I lived in San Diego from 1980 when I was born, until we moved to North Carolina in Nov. of 1993. That whole time, I think we lived within 15 miles of Miramar, and passed it every time we'd go to my grandparents place that was north of San Diego.

I got a feeling that's an inside joke but I'm already making up a story for it. :drink :drunk

It's not really, it's more of a lateral move to the movie "Hot Shots"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYWFo0OgV7k

Highly recommend watching the clip.

Back