• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

jknaus

Circular Drill Hole Blades for all scales 2020-10-31

No permission to download

jknaus

Administrator
jknaus submitted a new resource:

Circular Drill Hole Blades for all scales - Drills, flat hole, bevelled hole

I got another new tool, this time from Alexen Model. I first saw this on a build on Face Book although I dont remember which one. The fellow was using PE scre heads and needed to make a small hole for them. Now after doing the same thing on my Somua I knew it is difficult doing this using a drill bit. Getting the right depth and ensuring the pe piece does not fall through. This tool is the answer.
View attachment 129431
View attachment 129432
The blades come in 1.5...

Read more about this resource...

Interesting idea James. These things would work on resin very well. I always have issue with drilling resin because heat buildup. I remember reading someone suggesting that a halfround drill bit works better. These look to be just that.

Interesting idea James. These things would work on resin very well. I always have issue with drilling resin because heat buildup. I remember reading someone suggesting that a halfround drill bit works better. These look to be just that.
They are flat but they have a blade side to them. I cant get a good enough picture. I know I need it for the Somua and will post a pic when I build the second one. From the test I did i am quite happy with the possibilities.
James

At first, I thought it was a gimmick designed for Gundam modelers... then, I used my imagination. I have lots of PE screws which sometimes need to be flush mounted. Yet, to use the PE screws, drilling a hole for them sometimes ended up with them looking poorly. This seems more like a mill than a drill, leaving a flat surface to ensure the PE screws are flush (or at least level with) the surface. The pilot hole would be covered. Otherwise, I would use a beading tool and follow up with a knife for the slots.

Thanks and regards,

At first, I thought it was a gimmick designed for Gundam modelers... then, I used my imagination. I have lots of PE screws which sometimes need to be flush mounted. Yet, to use the PE screws, drilling a hole for them sometimes ended up with them looking poorly. This seems more like a mill than a drill, leaving a flat surface to ensure the PE screws are flush (or at least level with) the surface. The pilot hole would be covered. Otherwise, I would use a beading tool and follow up with a knife for the slots.

Thanks and regards,
Thats what drew me to this. A fellow was building something, cant remember what, but he needed to put some recessed screws and parts in. You have the option of a flat or beveled hole. I imagine the point would dig a hole but I found it so much easier to drill first and then use the tool. When I made my first Somua there are 2 screw heads, one on either side of the turret to pivot the rear door. I drilled them out but it didnt look tidy. In the past I've drilled and found I either did not go deep enough or too deep and then needed to put a back stop. This will allow the perfect depth every time. Any excess glue has a hole to go through also. I really like this.
James

Back