• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Changing it up - Tamiya Panzer II

Its always great to see them old tamiya kits shine. It looks like you added the doodads that were needed without overdoing it... :good:

:v

That was kind of the goal, but I apparently caught the PE bug from MoonPup! Once I started I just couldn't stop adding the PE! :frantic :frantic :frantic :frantic

Well I ran into a little bit of a speed bump last night. Primer and the XF-63 base coat have been painted. Unfortunately I ran out of XF-63 :bang head so I couldn't get all the shading done. I should have opened the bottle instead of assuming it was full :facepalm !

I put in a quick order to SprueBros last night as a back up and plan to stop at the LHS on my way home tonight. Assuming they have a bottle, I will be rolling again!

Thanks for looking folks and I appreciate all the encouragement!

Mike

Alright – quick update. Fortunately my local Hobbytown USA had a plentiful supply of XF-63, so I was able to wrap up the Panzer gray tonight. Here are the photos.

First off a primer coat. I used Ammo’s gray primer thinner 1:1 with there primer. I noticed I had some of the adhesion issues that the ammo paints had originally so I am guessing that this bottle is from one of the early batches. But I got through it and laid down a thin coat of primer.

Post_3_1~6.jpg

I let that sit overnight to cure then following the directions I sprayed Tamiya XF-63 German Gray as a base coat, followed by successively lighter shades, mostly on the horizontal surfaces until I felt it looked just a little over done. The weathering and gloss coats will serve to darken it up a little bit.

Post_3_2~5.jpg

Post_3_2~5.jpg

And there we go, next up will be a gloss coat followed by decals.
See you soon!

Mike

Hi all!

Quick update before I head out of town for the week. Decals are added.

I gave the whole tank a coat of future, then used some Echelon Panzer II and IV DAK decals I had in the stash, followed by an overspray of future followed by a full coat of Ammo Semi-Gloss Varnish.

Post_4_1~6.jpg

Post_4_2~6.jpg

I also mixed up my RAL 8020.

Post_4_3~6.jpg

Well didn't get quite as far as I hoped, but I am getting closer!

Thanks for looking
Mike

Hi all!

Quick update before I head out of town for the week. Decals are added.

I gave the whole tank a coat of future, then used some Echelon Panzer II and IV DAK decals I had in the stash, followed by an overspray of future followed by a full coat of Ammo Semi-Gloss Varnish.

Post_4_1~6.jpg

Post_4_2~6.jpg

I also mixed up my RAL 8020.

Post_4_3~6.jpg

Well didn't get quite as far as I hoped, but I am getting closer!

Thanks for looking
Mike

Your gonna catch me pretty soon!

Hi Guys – Back for another update.

Time for some RAL 8020! I carefully masked off the decals after they sat for about a week, then instead of using hairspray, I sprayed two thin coats of Ammo Scratches Effects, which is basically the same thing, but I didn’t have to decant it from a spray bottle. The scratches effects was followed by a scruffy, haphazard RAL 8020 paint job. Goal was for it to look a little ratty. I could have done a little better job here, but overall its good.

Post_5_1~5.jpg

Post_5_2~5.jpg

Post_5_3~4.jpg

Post_5_4~3.jpg

And the road wheels:

Post_5_5~3.jpg

After the tan dried I then broke out some old stiff brushes and some water and chipped up the paint. I tried to pay attention to places where the crew may have rubbed of the paint, but also a general scruffy appearance caused by the harsh desert environment.

Post_5_6~3.jpg

Post_5_7~2.jpg

I’m pretty happy with the results so far. Next I’ve started working on some of the accessories and such, but I think that about brings me to caught up in class.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

Looks Sharp, and yep you are almost caught up! Take some of your RAL 8020, add a wee bit of white paint, and highlight hinges, rivets, lift hooks, etc.

Guess I better get another session posted up!

Back