• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Can you get this one Saul?

kryptosdaddy

Dunkelgrun (Model Master RLM 71) and Field grey (Tamiya XF-65)

My Tamiya kits recommend Field Grey- NOT German Filed Grey, just Field Grey, they give no number...

Dunkelgrun, according to the English/German translations I have found online means Dark Green-

Field grey means Field Grey right? I know it's not a true grey- BUT, why is it a darker green than Dunkelgrun? At least in my painting samples from last night and this AM Dunkelgrun is lighter. But they are soo, close in some light it could be impossible to tell them appart...

I am confused, but not so much as to paint those guys battleship grey and be done with it! Just kidding on that, but seriously are they really the same colors? Or is this just another example of manufacturers license?

Here's a PDF of Tamiya paints and their uses, hope this helps...

http://www.ipmsnymburk.com/tamiya%20mixing/MixTamiya.pdf

CR

First off, Field Gray is Feldgrau in German and I don't know of any RAL number for it so it may be a color made to match a uniform sample. In other words, a useless description. In order to be of any help, why not state the item Tamiya expects you to paint with their Field Gray paint?

Here is an RAL list. PLEASE do not use the color samples shown to match anything. They are only there to simplify comparisons and groupings:
RAL Colors
Scroll down to read the names in English...

As for the RLM colors, here is another link. Note that any 'matching' to an FS number is approximate in most cases:
RLM Colors

Regards,

I'm working on the BMW R/75 Cycle W sidecar. Tamiya does not have a paint listing on the instructions, they just have an arrow pointing at whatever part they want painted and then the color ie. Field grey. They recommend this color for both the bike and the two walking soldiers, who are wearing overcoats. the bikes crew are wearing a type of jumpsuit, Tamiya calls this Grey?!

Well I have no less than 12 different types of grey, and only two- German Grey and JP Grey- are acrylics- most of mine are based on American and Nato Greys, I head to the local to get some MORE $$tuff! I get some Tamiya field grey and the guy at the shop steers me to the MM rack and shows me the RAL colors- then I find Dunkelgrun, I'm not that familiar with the armor colors so I look around... Dunkelgrun was about 2 shades lighter than the Field Grey. So i got one of each and some flat brown. As I said I have a pint or so in other various greys so i took the chance.

I was just supprized the two were so close!

Vehicles would be painted in RAL colors. In this case, it would be RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau/Black Gray (usually referred to as Panzergrau/Armor Gray). This was the standard color after 1940 before the switch to the dark yellow. Prior to 1940, it was two colors, dark brown and armor gray (panzergrau).

Please visit this site for great information based on an upcoming book:
Panzer Tracts' Panzer Facts Colors Page

Regards,

Seems to me the bikecrew is wearing the special rubberised motorcycle jacket;
http://www.blitzmilitaria.com/id3.htm#ww_ii_german_accessories
[second row at this link]

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks for the links guys- Ron I have a painting of a courier wearing one of those suits- your picture is very close- i'll go for that. thats almost gull grey. I have used that before on other germans, it passes.

Heck half my stuff has that color- its my favorite primer! lol

Back