• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Campaign for 2017- Midway

Chris and Luiz had planned on them...but again I have no issues. Paul and I are building the same Buffalo kit ;). Besides, between the land-based Midway USMC SBDs, and this from the carriers Yorktown, Enterprise, and Hornet (as well as a complement of Saratoga SBDs perched on Yorktown?, the likelihood of anyone duplicating anyone else is slim ;)

Here is an updated list...

This is my first time heading up a campaign here at MA but I think the list usually happens when we get a topic listed in the Current Campaign sections- but going through this whole thread (and people may change what they initially posted about obviously)-

Me- 1/32 Czech Model Midway Buffalo
Gary- A6M2 Zero
Chris S- SBD
Gator Kenny-1/72 F4F
Paul- ?
Rhino- ?
Iambrb- 1/72 Kate
Luiz- Dauntless
Paul (Heavens Eagle)- 1/32 Czech Model Midway Buffalo
Jeff- ?
Dave- Airfix SBD (Enterprise)
John- Monogram B-26 plus goodies
jugjunkie- 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger 1C
James-- SBD

Here is an updated list...

This is my first time heading up a campaign here at MA but I think the list usually happens when we get a topic listed in the Current Campaign sections- but going through this whole thread (and people may change what they initially posted about obviously)-

Me- 1/32 Czech Model Midway Buffalo
Gary- A6M2 Zero
Chris S- SBD
Gator Kenny-1/72 F4F
Paul- ?
Rhino- ?
Iambrb- 1/72 Kate
Luiz- Dauntless
Paul (Heavens Eagle)- 1/32 Czech Model Midway Buffalo
Jeff- ?
Dave- Airfix SBD (Enterprise)
John- Monogram B-26 plus goodies
jugjunkie- 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger 1C
James-- SBD

All I have is an old Matchbox Dauntless with no decals and do instructions (instructions? We don need no stinkin instructions) so basically in replicating a different dauntless all you would have to do is pretty much change numbers for a carrier based one and color scheme for a marine one? I also have a tony and a Hyabusa but I think those were a bit later in the war.

sbd3.jpg

Hmm...wonder if that's chrome yellow showing under that blue wing? Y'all think they stripped them before painting them blue or not?

Is this a -2 or 3?

Hmmm, got a couple Wildcats, a Kate, A6M2 zero and...

Wait for it...

A SBD.

What's the time frame on this?

Not much different between the 2 externally Bob...most -3s did have the twin .50s in back...this looks like it may be a single? Self sealing tanks and removal of the engine emergency flotation device were also the norm for the -3.

sbd3.jpg

Hmm...wonder if that's chrome yellow showing under that blue wing? Y'all think they stripped them before painting them blue or not?

Is this a -2 or 3?

Notwithstanding Paul's erudite elucidation, it looks like a -3 to me as I think I can see armor glass behind the windscreen, and the accessory section vent on the side below the antenna looks like it is the wider -3 style.

I think that is zinc chromate yellow primer showing on the wing root. Would it be likely any SBD-3 ever was in the yellow wing markings since the change away from that scheme happened in late 1940?

Thanks for the analyses John, I know nothing of the different models of the SBD but I really dig this paint job. Makes you wonder if this one worked off a field instead of in a protected hanger deck, it had a lot of Pacific sunshine on it to get this faded.

Any suggestions for a good -3 kit?

What scale Bob? The Accurate Miniatures kit in 1/48 still holds up and has been revised by others... The Trumpy kit is 1/32 is great as well.

One interesting paint note- the red centers to the stars and the red and white stripes on the vertical stab were overpaimted right before Midway...so some companies have the decals represent that...or using regular decals with a light overcoat of thin blue grey looks great.

That's an excellent photo, can't see any indicator that red is bleeding through the insignia or the tails.

1:48 would be the scale I'd like to do. 1:32 Trumpy stuff is just too expensive.

sbd3.jpg

Is this a -2 or 3?

Notwithstanding Paul's erudite elucidation, it looks like a -3 to me as I think I can see armor glass behind the windscreen, and the accessory section vent on the side below the antenna looks like it is the wider -3 style.

I think that is zinc chromate yellow primer showing on the wing root. Would it be likely any SBD-3 ever was in the yellow wing markings since the change away from that scheme happened in late 1940?

I just couldn't help myself, John. He left the screen door wide open for that one.

I found this https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/battle-of-midway-aircraft.asp so I have made a choice. That way there won't be an SBD 26 Dauntless I chose the B-26 which I so happen to have.

Back