• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Building the HMS Newcastle in 1/700

Gator

Hey guys. Here's a review build that I'm working on for IPMS/USA. I've got my sub-assemblies ready. I'll glue on the masts before I prime.

newcastle_1.jpg

newcastle_2.jpg

newcastle_3.jpg

I think the Newcastle kit hates me. I managed to almost completely destroy the mast antenna on the review kit, so I ordered a new one to try again. All was going well until I got to the part where you attach the lower hull to the upper hull. I won that battle, with a lot of sanding. I was all set to get the finish color on the hull and sub-assemblies today and the evil model reared it's ugly head. You name it, it has happened. Snapped two antenna off both masts, snapped the jack staffs off multiple times, primer coat fouled up, finish coat fouling up... I think this kit is possessed!

In all seriousness, The kit is pretty good. It has some faults, but it's nothing that can't be overcome. I have ordered a third kit, lucky for me I got this one on sale. Hopefully third time is a charm. At least I know where all my past pitfalls are. I'll also try talking nicer to it and see if that helps.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. My brother-in-law passed away from a pulmonary embolism on Feb 21. He was a single dad and my wife has been handling all of the arrangements and the secession for his two sons. Very chaotic compounded by his 19 year old son who is now unsupervised and an ex-wife trying to get to the 12 year old son's money.

Any way, I got the replacement kit and managed to get some work done on it yesterday. I'll take a few photos of my progress when I get home from work.

Back