• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 109e-3 (BLITZKRIEG) DONE!

nerdling

I figured I'd get my Second chance campgain started off with a 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109e-3 for the BLITZKRIEG build. This is the "unbuildable" version before they fixed the nose. Looks fine to me and they come dirt cheap on ebay because of it lol.

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

These will be the markings. JG26 in January of 1940. Also Chef Dave will love them :stinker

Re: Bf 109e-3 (BLITZKRIEG)

Question for all of you Luftwaffe experts. Were the slats on the wings extended while on the ground?

I've read and heard that the slats were automatic and spring loaded. They were activated by air pressure and AoA. To answer your question...you'll have to wait for someone who knows for sure.. I think they were extended but can't find any verification.

Anyways...:popcorn

The answer is: yes and no! While the slats were spring loaded to respond to air flow pressure they could be open or closed on the ground. They would stay closed if pushed closed. You could have one slat open and the other closed and still be right. At least that's what I've read on the Interwebz- so it's gotta be true, most likely. ;) Gonna use the kit markings or go with something else?

Thanks Chuck. Actually I am going with some aftermarket decals. I've never had much luck with Tamiya decals. But this is the set I am using. Third one down from the top

Built the same kit with my He 111 H4/6 kit a while back, went together well and no probs with the kit decals - Future under and over, the slats I always leave open cause I prefer them that way, yes spring loaded, Chuk is on the mark!

Thanks guys. Time for a quick update. Hve the cockpit all painted up in RLM 02 and glued together. I do have to ask if this color was glossy. The Testors acryl paint I have is glossy and it is just odd to me. But then I really don't know much about Luftwaffe planes. Just need to do a wash and maybe a bit of weathering and I will call her good.

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

I just realized that the little placard decal slipped on me. Oh well to late now. Probably won't see much of it in the cockpit anyways.

:popcorn

Hey, i think that I'll have to imitate you.
I'll do a Bf109-E3 from academy to the same campaing! :blush: :pilot

Looks good to me. You could give it a satin or semi gloss clear coat, but I wouldnt worry too much. When you button it all up it is a pretty close cockpit so you probably wont notice.
James

Thanks guys. It is all closed up now and you can't even see much of the cockpit anyways. But I did go ahead and put in a paint order for some Vallejo paint to try that out next time around.

This is where she is right now. The fit is great like any other Tamiya kit. I did use a spreader for the fuselage to get rid of a tiny gap in the wing root.

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

Well I slapped some paint on her today while I was waiting for the putty to dry on the C-45. First time airbrushing Vallejo Paint. Stuff sure seems nice so far. Takes awhile to dry though.

IMG_4898.JPG

The fuselage is in RLM 65 but the lighting sucks since it is dark outside.

IMG_4899.JPG

Still have some touchup here and there. But for my first Luftwaffe build I think it looks decent so far.

Thanks guys. I am really liking Vallejo paint. Odd though that I've been told so many times that the Model air stuff is prethinned. But it looks way to thick straight out of the bottle for me.

Just finished her up today. Markings are from JG26 in France during 1940. Overall it was a great kit. My first Luftwaffe build that has actually been finished.

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

Back