• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Best filter set?

The Zod

Right then........... I am taking the plunge,and I wish to get some filter sets. Which are the best? I was looking around at the Mega Hobby site. Found these two sets.

http://www.megahobby.com/alliedfilterboxset244to246migproductions.aspx

http://www.megahobby.com/alliedgreenvehicletransformationpaintset.aspx

Chad I don't really use a filter set, not sure how they work but if It were me I'd hit the cheaper one to see if you like it and get out what you expect. just my $.02

Chad I don't really use a filter set, not sure how they work but if It were me I'd hit the cheaper one to see if you like it and get out what you expect. just my $.02
Will do Bob. It seems to me,washes do not really work out for me most of the time. :idonno

All the options mentioned above require lots of ventilation!!!! That said, I like The Filter, they dry fairly quickly and multiple coats can be used to vary the effects. A hair dryer can be used to dry the filters between coats, they need to be dry to see how much more if any is needed. Humbrol thinner is especially stinky, but very effective. :blink

Ron and Mike.
How bad is the odor of Humbrol thinner? As bad as turpentine? I wonder if I could make my own acrylic filter. :hmmm

Ron and Mike.
How bad is the odor of Humbrol thinner? As bad as turpentine? I wonder if I could make my own acrylic filter. :hmmm

Humbrol thinner isn't that bad,however I'm used to lacquer thinners...so others might find it too much for their liking indeed.

Acrylic filter;I would say try some experimenting. :popcorn

Ron and Mike.
Against an enamel base you'll probably be ok. Think the problem with this is acrylic dry so fast.

Ron and Mike.

Humbrol thinner isn't that bad,however I'm used to lacquer thinners...so others might find it too much for their liking indeed.

Acrylic filter;I would say try some experimenting. :popcorn
Thanks Ron. I do know I do not want a lacquer smell inside my truck. :stinker

I picked up some tube watercolors a while back, wonder if they would act as a filter?

Well,I know some people use Gouache paint for weathering models.Gouache paint seems to work similar as watercolors...Having said that,I've never used them myself. :hmmm

Gr,Ron.

:hmmm

Sounds like we need to come up with a test. Maybe something we can build an article with on the front page. We haven't had a good ol' how to on the front page in a long long time.

Back