• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battle of Midway - B5N2 Kate D3A2 Val in 1/72

Hi Christian

That is exactly what I have been using: a table lamp with a daylight bulb. Maybe not strong enough. I will get an old camera see if it is better with that.

I will try some daylight today. The iPhone 6S will arrive only in 4 weeks... :bang head

Have a nice day!

Alex

Hello Gents (ladies too?)

So I followed Christian's advice (thanks again) and I was able to "clean up" the cockpits a bit. Now both are assembled and ready for their primer (Modelmaster Aluminium Metalizer Lacquer). Let's see if it works better this time.

Thanks for seeing and for your advice

Alex

The "Val"

h90e8597.JPG

hbbdb21c.JPG

h5f6926a.JPG

h0fed691.JPG

h00e828a.JPG

and here is the Kate

h8620549.JPG

h382a518.JPG

h90c3da0.JPG

The pictures look much better in general.

Try orienting the light so that the shadows are not as bad in the interior shots and you'll be doing great

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi There

So I got some work done and both of the ladies are primed with the aluminium lacquer, pre-shaded with black enamel and in between lots of acrylic base from Italeri. I am curious to the final effect. I wonder if the "chipping" will be successful, since the main chipped areas around the joints are now pre-shaded. I guess we will have to see.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Alex

h1d16678.JPG

h3c86c95.JPG

h674bf4c.JPG

ha2b96ec.JPG

h53ea79c.JPG

h750bb90.JPG

Hello again,

The ladies are all dressed up now.

I must say that the aluminium priming worked wonderfully. I couldn't resist the wait to test it and chipped a few marks already. Now the decals and then the weathering.
I guess that pre-shading did not make much of a difference in the scheme of things. Your opinion?

Thanks and nice Saturday everyone.

Alex
h14e23c0.JPG

h5aec958.JPG

ha6016a2.JPG

h446119f.JPG

h577c093.JPG

h8d0c2ff.JPG

Looking good. Glad the chipping is working out for you .

Can't see any preshading from here.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi everyone. I hope you all had a nice weekend. I am just finished with operating for the day (it's 01:51 AM)... time to get some shut-eye.

I leave you with some images of the ladies after the decals have been applied. They are not yet good enough, but I think it is already a big progress from some of my builds from before. There are things to improve (smooth out the paint so that it doesn't look so thick and artificial, the weathering, the finishing in the cockpits and clear parts and so on).

I will finish them later this week. As always, your advice and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Alex

h2634ca3.JPG

h52b05fd.JPG

hfbb9fe6.JPG

h6c4b0ea.JPG

hb94db1f.JPG

h1a64d85.JPG

Thanks guys. With your help I am sure that these will turn out better.

The poor Ki-67 Hiryu never stood a chance. Each finger von Enzo (my boy) has more firepower that a squadron of Hellcats. It was just one little second with the door open and boom... :pilot

My son has undoubtedly an attraction for my model Vitrine... And I am hoping (to my wife's despair) that he will also be a modeller. I was wondering when it would be a good time to get him started. Any thoughts?

I guess I prefer these tiny models since they have helped me a lot in my profession - very often I have to operate on small kids using my magnifying lenses, and the practice from modelling is invaluable (my record being a 290g baby). When I see these huge 1/48 and 1/32 kits, it is the same feeling when I help an adult surgeon... my Gosh, how to deal with so much "material"!!! :blink

I will post more pics as I work on the projects. Thanks again and have a nice week!

Alex

Finally remembered to look up what 290 grams might be in US measures ( old age :blush: )

Holly cow Alex , that 's only 10 ounces :blink Was that baby even born yet ? That is incredibly small .

Cheers, Christian B)

He was born at the end of the 20th gestational week (roughly 5 months) and developed intestinal complications. I had to perform surgery with the microscope. But he pulled through and now is a happy 2 yo boy! His story has been published in the medical literature.
Yesterday night I operated on a 710g girl, a giant in comparison (born at the 30th GW). She is doing wonderfully. It is amazing the progress that neonatology has had in the last decades. And we have an excellent team here at the university!

Back