• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Battle of Midway - B5N2 Kate D3A2 Val in 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hello dear friends,

once again many thanks for the constructive comments on the Ki-67. I regret to inform you that it has suffered an untimely death at the hands of my 1-year old son... :frantic

If and when I have time I will try and put it back together again.

So I have to put in practice all the nice suggestions received (I will be practicing it on an old model before) and, continuing with the Japanese WWII theme, I have decided to build a Battle of Midway flotilla, for now a Nakajima B5N2 Kate (Hasegawa) and an Aichi D3A2 Val (Fujimi with decals from Airfix), both with PE from Eduard. As always both in the one true scale, and no airbrush (disclaimer) ;)

So, here is the Val:

hb9c42cf.JPG

h8a8808b.JPG

h130a55c.JPG

And here is the Kate, which I have already assembled and will be waiting for the internal painting.

he0490e2.JPG

h0eb8b1c.JPG

hd0bb6a8.JPG

h99ee948.JPG

h6a5f939.JPG

hfc38571.JPG

h97ad3c9.JPG

h98661c6.JPG

h50693a3.JPG

Sorry about the pictures, I still cannot get the lighting correct. It is also a very dark day outside (thankfully! Winter is coming!).

Cheers

Alex

Sorry to hear of the crafts mis-fortune ... Looks like an excellent start ... I don't know how ya do such nice itty bitty work ... :popcorn

Very nice (y) (y) (y)
You guys never cease to amaze me with the fine work you do in such a tiny scale. :popcorn
James

Great start, sounds like we have a future modeler lurking about. Save the pieces so when he's old enough he can repair it. :rotf

Hmmmm, combat losses . Was there something to know about the blue box ?

I'll be watching the Fujimi kit as I have it in the stash :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys. With your help I am sure that these will turn out better.

The poor Ki-67 Hiryu never stood a chance. Each finger von Enzo (my boy) has more firepower that a squadron of Hellcats. It was just one little second with the door open and boom... :pilot

My son has undoubtedly an attraction for my model Vitrine... And I am hoping (to my wife's despair) that he will also be a modeller. I was wondering when it would be a good time to get him started. Any thoughts?

I guess I prefer these tiny models since they have helped me a lot in my profession - very often I have to operate on small kids using my magnifying lenses, and the practice from modelling is invaluable (my record being a 290g baby). When I see these huge 1/48 and 1/32 kits, it is the same feeling when I help an adult surgeon... my Gosh, how to deal with so much "material"!!! :blink

I will post more pics as I work on the projects. Thanks again and have a nice week!

Alex

Hate to hear about the mishap
facepalm.png

Thankfully never had that problem with my kids but occasional Cats have been a different story.

Now, what you need to do is find a way to harness that eagerness :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

Hello again,

So I got some work done on the Val. The PE set was supposed to be used with the Cyber Hobby Kits, not with the Fujimi, so that I had to scratch build several sections and take some poetic license in others. Overall seems ok to me, now will also be on the painting line. I hope you like it too and thanks for watching ;)

h0216f83.JPG

h8f8e96e.JPG

h504f6df.JPG

h066d090.JPG

h15711ac.JPG

hd4531e4.JPG

h40cfef7.JPG

Hello all,

So I added a bit of color and also the shading with the black dust dissolved in acrylic thinner. This internal job did not turn out as nice as that of the Ki-67, since in the Kate the whole PE was "colorless" and in the Val there were absolutely no details in the cockpit. I think it is ok, I could maybe tone it down a bit, but Japanese planes were always somewhat "dirty". See what you think.

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Alex

First the "Val"

h8b6a909.JPG

h479df84.JPG

h339cb6d.JPG

And now the "Kate" (I am very partial to this name, it is my wife's) :v

ha54ddd0.JPG

h46e2d8e.JPG

h1d26aed.JPG

he48e334.JPG

h4431c56.JPG

Nice , although I have to ask what time period is this ?

If it's early war, they probably did not have much opportunity for dirt as they flew off the carriers .

What are you using to take pictures ? your phone ?

Cheers, Christian B)

HI Christian

Yes, this is supposed to be Midway. I guess they were not that dirty. I will try to "clean" them a bit more.

I am taking picture with my phone, yes. They are awful. My camera is locked in the OR. I have ordered an iPhone 6S, hopefully with that one the pictures will be better (although I highly doubt the modeller will).

Cheers,

Alex

I don't think so. Just no one posting today . Another thing that would improve thr photography would be a table lamp with a daylight bulb in it.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back