• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bantam in Red Army

Hi guys

my new project is the Bantam BRC 40 in Red Army service. Some time ago I have started the build of Miniart's Bantam (not possible insert on Contest because the build was started some time ago.....) . It's a good kit but the quality there isn't as the actually Miniart standard.
The mounting is fast. I have added only the frontal glasses protection because I think which if it's in close position , the crew are more visible.

I'm search info on Bantam service in Red Army , there are some discussion on internet but the info there aren't clear.

I have found only 3 photos of Bantam in Red Army, and one photo have a caption said "Stalingrad"??......

Now I'm searching this info:

1) My storical research is correct? Stalingrad 1942 was possible?

2) what colour body for BRC 40, classic american OD or Russian green ? Traslate in Tamiya or Gunze colour?

I can insert some photos....

huo8ki.jpg

sfi49l.jpg

10ngi87.jpg

2ewjmva.jpg

zwccm.jpg

24e5gr4.jpg

1zei8g6.jpg

coming soon with news!!

mike

Mike,

From my reading's, the BRC's began to arrive in Russia in late 1941 thru the Northern ports so it would be very possible they could have reached Stalingrad.

Lend-lease vehicles were usually left in their original colours and only repainted if/when required during a major overall, the exception being the additon of an overall winter white wash. The serial numbers were also often left until repainting.

Tamiya XF-62 Olive Drab lightened with either XF-60 Dark Yellow or XF-57 Buff makes a good "scale" WW2 US Olive Drab (mix ratio of about 3 parts XF-62 to 1 part XF-60).

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Mike,

Did this Russian Bantam myself a few years ago.
And did the same research.
It is as RichB says, Bantams were definitely around Stalingrad (and everywhere else in Russia)
Also true about the colors and markings: they were used as delivered, until a repaint was inevitably.

Nice kit ! Succes, Willem

Hi guys

thank you for your fast response, are very useful.

Thank you Rich and Willem for your opinion.
At the end I decided for Od because, the OD was certain , the Russian Green overpaint probably.

Storical location: Stalingrad 1943 or Eastern Front 1943
After a preshading with Nato Black , in lower surface and in recess surface, I used the mixture was suggested by Rich. For dark area I sprayed only OD and for lightened area I have added XF4 to base mixture. Now the effect is very hard, but after the oils weathering phase, this effect will be more soft.
11jsmf6.jpg

Suggestions and criticism are welcome

mike

Hi guys

I insert new photos of Bantam. In this phase I work with oils and enamels.
With Oils I have make a lining ( black) , some scratch with the sponge technique and light drybrush with enamels.

n5fn29.jpg

Next step a light coat of Tamiya buff, in lower surface of Bantam...

Soon with new photos

Mike

Hi guys

I insert new photos of Bantam. In this phase I work with oils and enamels.
With Oils I have make a lining ( black) , some scratch with the sponge technique and light drybrush with enamels.

n5fn29.jpg

Next step a light coat of Tamiya buff, in lower surface of Bantam...

Soon with new photos

Mike

:soldier

(y)

Looks excellent. Hope my Dodge turns out this well. Really like your photographic skills aswell.

:good:

Ian

Hi guys

after more time I have completed my last model, the "Bantik in Red Army".
The base is in scratch, the walls and the street are in plaster engraved with a simply tool with tip .
The ruins are plaster, wood and metal wire...
For to paint the base I have sprayed various earth colours by Tamiya with airbrush, lining with oil colour and drybrush with Humbrol's enamels.

thank you for suggestions during this work.
Thanks to Alberto Cazzavillan for to paint the soviet crew and Augusto Motolo for suggestions during the realization of ground and ruins.

34i1u2w.jpg

24d3t5d.jpg

kdn7mu.jpg

j7sz0g.jpg

And now I'm ready for new modelling adventure......

bye
Mike

Back