• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aussie Cent tank crew personal weapons in Vietnam?

pwypior

Hi guys,

I am in the process of building an Aussie Centurion (Vietnam era) from the AFV Club kit. I want to depict a tank which will be having, apart from the usual stowage items placed in the turret basket or on the engine deck, also a couple of crew's personal weapons lying here and there. The problem is that I don't exactly know the types of weapons used by the Aussies in Vietnam.
I searched several websites from the Vietnam era including a couple devoted to Centurions, and I know from the photos that the main Aussie rifle in Vietnam was an L1A1 7.62 mm rifle - a derivative of FN FAL. But I had also seen photos of RAAC crewmen holding US M16 rifles. I don't have access to L1A1 either in plastic or resin, so would it be correct to place an M16 rifle on my Centurion?
Also, can anyone tell me what type of pistol (or revolver) was used by the Aussies in Vietnam? Can I use a Colt M1911?

The next things I would use on my model are close support weapons such as grenades and grenade launchers. I was thinking about placing an M203 grenade launcher (the one with wooden stock)along with some 40 mm grenades lying nearby. Is this configuration correct for an Aussie Centurion in Vietnam?

Generally, apart from an L1A1 rifle, were there any strictly Aussie weapons used by the Cent crews in Vietnam or they used a mix of US and Aussie weapons and other personal stuff?

Any suggestions,please?

TIA,

Piotr

I'm not an authority by any stretch of the imagination,
but I do remember seeing Australian Military members using
US weapons, like the M-16 and the M-79 (that would be the
40mm grenade launcher you were talking about)...
Let me search around and see what I can come up with for
photos...
Shawn

Hi Piotr,

Crew commander may have had a m16 or possible a SLR L1A1
The standard issue crew weapons had been the 9mm browning pistol and the F1 sub machine gun.
Similar to a sterling sub machine gun but the mag was loaded at the top.
This info was available out of the military briefs book No 3
can be purchased here
http://www.mheaust.com.au/MHE/Books/Milbrief3.htm
Great reference for an accurate centurian build
The Italeri weapons kit brought out a sterling sub machine gun ,you may be able to convert the mag setup from the side to the top.

The F1 sub machine gun was the same calibre as the browning .9mm.
Not very accurate over 30metres,ended up firing one of these in training back in the late eightees .Its an ugly looking gun but was a stop gap measure for a personal weapon
supposedly meant to replace the owen sub machine gun.Not a good substitute :(

Michael

Back