• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Asuka/Tasca Luchs Complete!

There may even be some green on this one, so stay tuned to see if it's the correct shade. :frantic:

13.jpg

Thanks guys! Progress was made last weekend, I just didn't take many photos or post anything. I finished track assembly and moved on to the blackening solution.

IMG_1508 (2).JPGIMG_1509 (2).JPG
This is at least the fourth set of tracks I've treated with this batch of Uschi solution, I've lost count.

Since this kit has track tensioners, I decided to go ahead and paint the lower hull so I can install the tracks and glue the tensioners in place.

IMG_1510 (2).JPGIMG_1511 (2).JPGIMG_1512 (2).JPG
I'll add dirt and mud, then install the tracks later today. Much more to come, thanks for coming by!
:Drinks:

That is looking really good Mike!
Thumbs up Lg.gif

I remember a guy back in the 80's that scratch built one of these. The waffle pattern on the outer wheels gave him a bunch of trouble. It was such a different looking vehicle from the Panzer III's and IV's that it stuck in my memory.

This thing looks great Mike! The tracks came out nice and I really like that base color you got going.
giphy.gif

Thanks guys! I'm having fun with this one. The time change always messes with me, so I decided to hit it early yesterday. Finishing the tracks is always rewarding, here's the result. I always give the cleats a quick swipe with a sanding stick prior to adding dirt.

IMG_1524 (2).JPGIMG_1525 (2).JPGIMG_1522 (2).JPG
The fiberglass pencil is a quick and easy way to make the wear surface look interesting and a blend of pigments and chopped rope fibers give our tracks that lived in look. A little pigment fixer keeps the schmutz in place. Let it dry overnight and go do something else. :dude:
This morning, the tracks were ready to install.
IMG_1532 (2).JPGIMG_1533 (2).JPGIMG_1534 (2).JPG
The tensioners work pretty well, get the tracks where you want them, then fix the tensioners with CA. Did I mention it really helps to have Google Translate to interpret the instructions? It surely does!
Anyway, there's more bits and pieces coming together, thanks for coming by! See all you hep cats soon! :Drinks:
Hep Cat.jpg

Thanks to those who took time to comment, I appreciate it!

This kit has been a handful. If I hadn't read some online reviews and didn't have several good reference books AND Google Translate, I'd have been in deep doo doo. This isn't a kit you just plow into, there are several steps that require some thought to get you to the next stage of assembly. I'm doing this a little differently than I normally would have, I've prepped all the assemblies for primer, then I will put it together and paint. (yeah, at least that's the plan). Yesterday was a bust, my wife was sick all day and I was feeling the seasonal allergies, so nothing happened. Today was a different story.
This is the Barrel Brass Edition (says so on the box), so I decided to get the barrels swapped out. Here's the kit piece on the left beside the Adlers Nest brass machine gun barrel that was also included in the kit. As you can see, the brass part is much longer and will need surgery.
IMG_1556 (3).JPGIMG_1557 (2).JPGIMG_1558 (2).JPG
I shortened it with my razor saw and trusty Mark I Eyeball.
The main gun is pretty much the same, you have to cut the plastic barrel from the base, drill a hole and install the brass barrel. Careful center punching and a sharp bit makes the drilling easier.
IMG_1559 (2).JPGIMG_1560 (2).JPG
Asuka Model included a 1.4m brass antenna as well, clip off the antenna from the base of the plastic piece, center punch, drill and install the new antenna. Easy peasy and oh, so much better looking.
IMG_1561 (2).JPG
The turret is a multi piece affair, careful sanding and glue application results in a nice assembly.
IMG_1562 (2).JPG
The mesh grilles on the rear deck are well represented in photo etch, you just need to coax them into the proper shape. I used my Brass Assist Roller set Mk MC from The Small Shop. It's a great tool and makes short work of a task I used to hate. Trim the parts from the fret, file off the nubs and let's roll.
IMG_1563 (2).JPG IMG_1564 (2).JPGIMG_1565 (2).JPGIMG_1566 (2).JPGIMG_1567 (2).JPGIMG_1568 (2).JPG
You don't really have to roll these, just some even downward pressure creates the curve, you just have to pick the right size roller to match your arc. I bent the flat sides with my Tamiya PE pliers and glued the parts in place with Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive (not the Tacky kind, that's junk).

Moving along, I just cleaned the rest of the pieces in preparation for primer. A pile of panzer parts, ready to go.

IMG_1569 (3).JPG

So that's all for today, kats and chicks! Be kool, you hep kats!
Thanks for coming by! :Drinks:

Wonderful progress! You must have gotten your modeling space squared away as well. Looks like you had a stellar day at the bench! :ro::vgood:

Thanks guys, yesterday was one of those where it feels like you accomplished something. More to come, hoping to get to paint next weekend. Thanks for coming by!

PST!
Precisely painting a proliferous pile of plastic Panzer pieces and perfectly prepped parts, perhaps, promotes peaceful productivity!
Pshwooo!!
:doh::ro:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback! Last weekend I got a fair amount done, I just didn't take any photos because it seemed like everything fought me. Yay for allergy season! So here's proof.
IMG_1599 (3).JPG

I kept looking at references and the kit, there was just something about that open grille on the rear deck that bugged me. Asuka doesn't provide screens in the kit and I'm too far into it to buy a PE set, so I made one! Many years ago, I bought some brass mesh at a local train store and that sure looked right to me. I measured the opening and made a card stock template to make sure it would fit right. Sure enough, the dimensions fell right between the squares which made for an easy cut.
IMG_1632 (2).JPG
I test fit it and sent it to primer. I'll add some fasteners when I install it for good.
IMG_1631 (2).JPG
After this, I got sidetracked and Sunday evaporated. Thanks for coming by!

Precise PEE part procurement, for a perplexing panzer predicament! Petite Panzer progress! A Pleasurable perusal!

Back