• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Ardennes Tank Riders...Finished 04/04/14

Ardennes Tank Riders...Update 10/06/13

Hi Guys

I needed a break from painting so I went back to work on the MG42. This will be on the shoulder of one of the fallschirmjagers.

The resin kit part was ok, but a little warped. After looking at a few options I decided on the Tamiya part from their MG42 Machine Gunner kit. It just seemed straighter and sharper looking, but could still use some extra work.

Here are the kit parts:

102013-001-L.jpg

With a dremel I carved out the barred and opened up the cooling slots n the jacket:

102013-002-L.jpg

102013-003-L.jpg

I added some brass rod for the barrel:

102013-004-L.jpg

Here’s the almost finished gun. Still needs a bit of work, the bipod is not glued yet.

102013-005-L.jpg

102013-006-L.jpg

102013-007-L.jpg

102013-008-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments, critiques and suggestions most welcome…

Tom

Yet again, most stunning job, Tom

I wonder how you did that without damaging anything, ... respect ! (y) :notworthy

Greetings,

;)

Frank

Yet again, most stunning job, Tom

I wonder how you did that without damaging anything, ... respect ! (y) :notworthy

Greetings,

;)

Frank

Thanks Frank!

I worked on this over a long period of time, when the grinding got too tedious I would set it aside.
And the dremel got away rom me a few times, but I was able to make some repairs.

The end of the barrel really had me nervous, it's not as thin as I wanted...but figured I better stop
while I was ahead.

Tom

Ditto about the Dremal, yet to find one that doesn,t have a wobble to it. (y)

Moon, make sure you have the right sized mandrel in the dremel, the bits can wobble if you don't.

And thanks! :D

Tom

Hi Tom

Fantastic work a pleasure to look at the post , very inspiring wonderful attention to detail looking forward to see this develop.
Great work

Cheers Chris :good:

Thanks Chris!

It's been a long road, and still a long ways to go...I spent an entire weekend
fabricating the clip for the MG42 sling...arghhh!!!

Thanks for checking it out,
Tom

Hi Tom
It's a funny old hobby eh! , I had one of those days yesterday where I went to start doing something with a model and just could not get going with it .I have learnt now to walk away and start another day ,,,,,!!
Cheers Chris

SURPRISE!!!!...and not kidding either.

I must apologize for lack of updates, but this thing started to sputter out, and once
on my second, third (and fourth) wind I figured I better not stop or I’d never get done.

Anyways, here it is on the table at AMPS, I’ll try to get some proper pictures up soon.

063-L.jpg

Tom

Outstanding Tom! Good luck and have fun at the show.

Glad you got this done for the show and good luck. Tell everyone we said Du'hu, they'll know what you mean. :rotf

Take lots of pictures. (y)

Anyways, here it is on the table at AMPS, I’ll try to get some proper pictures up soon.

Yes please do that Tom!Close up pics would be nice...Looks great from seeing this photo! (y)

Greetings,Ron

Thanks Guys!

I'll get some better pictures up here soon.

Sorry, no pics from AMPS, ugh...what an ordeal. We got there at 4:00 a.m. Friday morning,
after driving all night in the rain.

But I did win a Silver in the Advanced class! :woohoo:

Tom

Back