• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Arado 196

ij001

Picked this kit up about three years ago in a New year sale at my local (only) toy & hobby shop. This is the Italeri 1:48 Arado 196 as re-boxed by Tamiya, it's not a bad kit - surprisingly big tho' - similar in size to a Stuka or a P-47. I built it with no extras, just straight from the box and really enjoyed it. Details in the (very visible) cockpit are a little light and some details are a little 'chunky' but IMHO that's a small price to pay for having something just that little bit different in your cabinet.

Paints are all acrylic, I didn't have any RLM 72 & 73 for the camo, so went and looked at what others have done for the Fw200's etc and mixed-up a couple of tones that looked OK'ish. The purists out there (but probably not here at MA) may disapprove, but I can live with it 😉 .

Please feel free to make any comment or criticism or suggestion. Next will be a return to a stalled (jet) project which you have seen before - have a great week all.

Best from New Zealand.

Ian.

a done.jpg
b done.jpg
c done.jpg
d done.jpg
e done.jpg
f done.jpg
g underside.jpg
i done.jpg
Ref 1.jpg
with base 1.jpg
with base 2.jpg

I love the Ar-196! I have the massive 1/32 in the stash (with the clear resin canopy) and have built a couple of the old 1/72 kits.

This is a lovely build!

I love the 196 and you have done the model a great justice as it looks great! Weathering is nice and subtle on the wings and hrad core on the trolley)as it should be).
:Drinks:

Thats a beauty! What did you use the the finish coat?

For this one, I used Tamiya Flat Coat (XF-86), it's not a full matt, there is a slight sheen which seems right to me. I thinned it with Tamiya laquer thinner at about 60%.

Ian.

Reactions: Mo_
Back