• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Applying glue/cement

Fireball

In lieu of Testor's squeeze applicators I am looking at using a syringe. Applying glue in smaller, tighter applications as well as larger parts would be I believe much cleaner and more control than using a brush. In keeping the syringe and applicators/needles clean would mineral spirits work or would finger nail remover be a better choice? On another note, my wife introduced me to a manicure aid called Flawless. It is rechargeable, has six interchangeable bits, reversable two speed and is only six inches long. It can be useful in many applications and is a pretty good paint mixer. Let me know your thoughts/comments.

Fireball out

I use WeldOn3 as my solvent/glue of choice. It has a similar chemistry to Tenax and the Ambroid solvents. It works great on quite a number of plastics. I use an old glass syringe to draw the solvent out of the 16oz can I buy it in. It was formulated to bond acrylic without crazing it. The last pint can of WeldOn3 I bought cost $12 for 16oz. As opposed to Tenax or the other glues which are about $7 for an ounce or two. As I only make a small hole in the metal seal under the cap it doesn't evaporate out and I keep the lid very tight.
As for application, I use one particular brush to apply the solvent. I have some old watch oilers which will work like the applicator tube that is available, but I find the pointy brush to work just fine.

I am worried about the item "finger nail remover" ? the Nazis used pliers i believe :)
I use revell glue in a bottle with a needle tip.
My bad. I meant nail polish remover. The Nazi SS and Gestapo were pretty cruel. The Vietnamese used sliced bamboo.

No unfortunately I do not. We were in a big Walmart awhile back and my wife mentioned a manicuring tool that she uses and I said let's have a look. For 20$ I decided to give it a try. It was with all the fingernail polishing stuff that the ladies use. I can send a pic if you want.

german-ruling-pen-6.png

I like this tool for applying different amounts of liquid glue. If you Google Draftsman's Rule pen you can find one of your very own!
If you can find actual MEK a quart tin can be had for around $12.00. It seems silly to spend $5.00 on 40 ml.
Tamiya extra thin liquid is mostly MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) Tamiya seems to have added a retarder to keep their cement from flashing off to quickly. MEK doesn't allow much working time.

I use WeldOn3 as my solvent/glue of choice. It has a similar chemistry to Tenax and the Ambroid solvents. It works great on quite a number of plastics. I use an old glass syringe to draw the solvent out of the 16oz can I buy it in. It was formulated to bond acrylic without crazing it. The last pint can of WeldOn3 I bought cost $12 for 16oz. As opposed to Tenax or the other glues which are about $7 for an ounce or two. As I only make a small hole in the metal seal under the cap it doesn't evaporate out and I keep the lid very tight.
Like @Rhino & @Heavens Eagle, I use larger containers of the chemical compounds:
AmazonSolvent.JPG

I will admit to using @Heavens Eagle's method of transfer using a long needle syringe to my empty Tamiya cement jar:
eBaySyringeNeedles.JPG

However, to apply to a model, I still use a Touch-n-Flow applicator since a syringe mean pushing on a plunger:

Regards,

Appreciate all responses. I am definitely taking notes and will try that drafting pen since I already have one, somewhere, I think. As for Rhino, I am former Navy, Vietnam to. USS Oklahoma City CLG-5, Machinist Mate. Our call sign was fireball.

The Touch-N-Flow was what I was thinking of Saul. I have some old watch oilers that are basically the same thing but smaller. I have thought about trying them out as a couple have really small tube wires, but I am quite used to the brush I have used for a long time and it works just fine for me.

Super glue applicators are another thing and everyone seems to have their own way to apply it. I have made some Stainless wire chisel end applicators that work quite well and can either place a tiny spot or add a lot to an area until a narrow gap is filled with a fine fillet at the joint thus not needing putty or sanding.

Appreciate all responses. I am definitely taking notes and will try that drafting pen since I already have one, somewhere, I think. As for Rhino, I am former Navy, Vietnam to. USS Oklahoma City CLG-5, Machinist Mate. Our call sign was fireball.
Thank you for your service
:salute:

I have ordered a Touch-n-Flow applicator. I bought another brand that just flowed out. I assumed nobody got this type of applicator right. Thanks for the tip.

The problem with any of the Touch-n-Flow applicators is that they are open ended and will evaporate out. Also the needles on them will flow a fair amount of solvent. I have some old watch oilers that are the same thing, but on a much much smaller scale. I guess I need to dig them up and give them a look see for applying some solvent glues.

Back