• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Another 1/24 Airfix Spitfire

Someone here, can't remember who. Use to use the kit part to mash out a brass overlay of the panel. Or I've seen that done somewhere. Was it Wasabisan?

I thought that is what it meant at first, then the more I read it seemed that it meant the interior of the wing shell, that the undercarriage and undersurface were two different things. Are you saying they should be the same, depending on the color scheme I chose?
Well, I was stating what the instructions meant. As for reality, I have only seen a few unrestored skin panels which had a blue-gray color on the interior side. All others, of restored aircraft, seem to paint it the same color as the underside of the aircraft. One restored aircraft used a yellow chromate in the landing gear bays.

Well, I was stating what the instructions meant. As for reality, I have only seen a few unrestored skin panels which had a blue-gray color on the interior side. All others, of restored aircraft, seem to paint it the same color as the underside of the aircraft. One restored aircraft used a yellow chromate in the landing gear bays.
10-4, thank you! I did sky gray on the inner wing surface and silver on the other parts. It looks pretty good I think. Thanks!

Under side of most RAF aircraft of the time was medium sea grey. Top is RAF ocean grey and RAF dark green.
The inside panel colour is another of the confused colours due to the restorers going for Silver , interior green, under surface colour, and anything else that takes their fancy :). Personally i think it changed over production so silver for Mk1 and V when the underside was Sky but medium sea grey for later marks but dont quote me.

The ignition wire tube needs attention as it sits proud and interferes with the top engine cover

_DSC6836_01.JPG

it sits high and is held up by its mounting on to the magneto . I will post a fix when i find one..

Don't panic but get it right when first fitting rather than as i did..after the event :) You might need to trim a 1mm off the pipe length but double check the position of the magneto where to pip joins it as that also effects the height of the pipe over the rocker box..

Don't panic but get it right when first fitting rather than as i did..after the event :) You might need to trim a 1mm off the pipe length but double check the position of the magneto where to pip joins it as that also effects the height of the pipe over the rocker box..
Thank you!!

That's the issue I ran into on the Junkers, really nice engine detail but the panels will not fit.

:popcorn

It has been a minute since I posted progress pics. I have the gun bays pretty much done. I plan on leaving then open, especially since the cover would not go over the ammo drums. How accurate can that be if they are that proud of the surface? 🤔
20230511_214223.jpg
20230511_214229.jpg
20230511_214241.jpg

As for the engine bulkhead, the instructions say that some Spits bulkheads were painted aluminium, and I thought that might add extra interest against the details. I am basing my tubing routing and details according to this reference...
Screenshot_20230511_201019_Gallery.jpg

My guess is that the red cylinder is a filter. Honestly, I have no idea, but I like the added splash of color. I am not finished, but this is the bulkhead so far...
20230511_214203.jpg

Criticism is welcome since it is not too late to change any of this. Thanks for looking!

OK, I have a bunch of wires, hoses, lines, etc., run all over the place. I am sure "some" of them are in the right place! Most of them, however, are unlikely to be. I studied @paddy 's plane, as well as several photos of Rolls Royce Merlin engines on Britmodeller.com. Most of the lines I could see where they started, then lose them, then guess where they ended if a line looked the same color and size. I obliterated the Rolls Royce nameplate because I FUBAR'd it, and will attempt to make an engraved brass plate with my dremel. We shall see.
20230514_190738.jpg
20230514_190721.jpg

Some references...
Spitfire MK9 4.jpeg
Spitfire MK9 3.jpeg

Looks better than mine Greg , well done :vgood:
You have probably noticed by now no two bulkheads or wiring/plumbing are the same which is why a lot of wires dont really go anywhere ;-)

Looks better than mine Greg , well done :vgood:
You have probably noticed by now no two bulkheads or wiring/plumbing are the same which is why a lot of wires dont really go anywhere ;-)

First of all, as for that first sentence, my 6 year old granddaughter would say "You're not true!" LOL, but thank you sir. That is the highest compliment I think I have ever gotten.
And yeah, I have noticed that each plane's wiring was probably customized by each different crew and pilot. Pilot would say, "Can you do this?" and the crew would say "Let's make it happen boys". Lot's of black hose and clamps LOL.

Its very easy to spot someone who is really enjoying themselves with a build and you certainly are :)
You are quite right Paddmeister! I showed the finished bulkhead to my wife and she laughed, rolled her eyes and said "Why are you doing that?! I would rather die". I said, "Because it makes me happy. I am having a blast. Nothing wrong with that!"

Back