• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AK Interactive Magnetic Handle 60 and Figure Painting Handle- A Review

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Hello friends! Recently, I ordered a couple of painting assistants from AK Interactive and thought I'd share them with you. First up is the Magnetic Handle 60. This tool is available in two sizes, the 60 is for 1/35 scale and larger, the 50 is for smaller models.
IMG_1533.JPG

Inside the box, we find the anodized aluminum handle, an acrylic base and a pack of steel discs.
IMG_1534.JPG

I chose a completed subject to try the test on, a 1/48 scale Tamiya Jagdpanther. These kits have a metal chassis and I figured the extra weight would be a good test. I used CA to attach the discs to the chassis and let it cure.
IMG_1535.JPG

The magnets in the handle are very strong and held the model snugly, regardless of the position, even inverted!
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG

I purchased the holder directly from AK Interactive for about $28 plus shipping.

Next up is the Figure Painting Handle, which consists of a comfortable anodized aluminum handle with adjustable chuck and a sturdy acrylic base.
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1531.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG

I used straight pins inserted and attached with CA in the feet of the figures I'm currently working on and chucked them into the pin vise for a very secure and steady working platform. The Figure Painting Handle cost about $22 plus shipping.

Other brands are available, but were out of stock when I was looking for mine. Thanks for coming by!

:Drinks:

Last edited:
Pretty neat! I think I'd trust the figure holder more than the magnetic. Knowing my luck some EM field would hit and send my subject flying across the room.

I think I would install the steel discs (washers) inside the model to further capture it, but the hold is pretty strong as is. I popped the discs off after the test, using a pair of pliers, but CA debonder would work too.

Great Review Mike!! I had seen these around and always wondered how good they did the job as advertised. I'll seriously have to consider getting a set now.

Thanks!
:victory:

Back