• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix Spitfire OOB

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Spit001.jpg

Spit002.jpg

No, I didn't start this AM, got to transpose these dang color call outs.

But I'm looking forward to this, no solder wiring to do, no hours of googlin' trying to find pictures of that one cockpit with this and that in it...

:pilot :drinks

Nice MP! great to see someone just building a kit as it is, without all the extras.

Started with assembly, this ain't no Tamiya kit is it?

I hope no one has a cow because I use Zinc Green Chromate inside the cockpit, It's going to be all buttoned up so you can't see it anyways. Pictures later.

All good, Bob. Just no time to model these days :(

I'm no airplane modeller (other than the occasional OOTB), but you checked all the boxes for my fav aircraft scale, fav aircraft of all time and one of my fav aircraft brands :)

This is the one that offers the Mk II option as well, doesn't it? I think Rowan Bayliss over at AeroScale reviewed it sometime back - nice kit, IIRC, almost a classic Airfix build.

That's right Rudi, not sure of all the differences but I'm going for the two blade prop, I think that makes it a MkI. There is a 3 blade prop in the kit. Saul had mentioned a replacement prop but since I'm proving a point and going strictly OOB on this I'm not going to get it.

Let's talk about Humbrol 78, is it the same, or close to, RLM2?

Checking my paint supply for Humbrol 78 I see that RLM2 is a match. But it's listed as Grey.

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101c.html#

What gives?

No RAF interior green is a lighter green grey. RLM 02 is a darker greyer green. Very different. My favourite is still Model Master RAF Interior Green.

RAF
RAF-Interior-Green.gif

RLM02
Grey-RLM-02.gif

James

Wonder why those numbers hit on each other like that. doesn't help matters.

I"m still resisting buying anything for the Spitfire, hoped I could use what I have on hand. I'll check my stock again.

It's easy for me to do OOB on this one, I don't have anything else for it.

I'll take my beating for British Interior Green now..
Spit003.jpg

Fast build, pretty easy, some major honkin' gaps on the wingroot and again I did the spreader bar trick. Twice now..

Spit004.jpg

you can see the spreader up in there. Still got some gap to close up as you can see around the leading edge of the wing root. Might get some paint on this one also.

Finally some pictures to this radio broadcast! :D Looks good so far, out of the box, huh? :snoopy

Awesome Bob. You are doing the exact Spitfire I've always wanted to do. I think it looks so distinctive with that 2 blade prop and the half black/half white... light gray whatever underside.

Also, you are right about the OOB thing. If you get your little flashlight and stick your face right up in the cockpit it's one thing, but from a foot or two feet or three.... still looks like an airplane!

Back