• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airbrush hijinks.

ausf

Master at Arms
I finally gave into my latest obsession, the Paasche Turbo AB.

I remember the guy at Pearl in '82 laughing at me a saying 'don't even think about it kid' when i asked about it. Who's laughing now?

Theres almost no info on these, they are from the original 1850 design and have been out of production for some time. I grabbed a few used airbrush books and the first one mentioned it as on of the five airbrush types, but then went on to say 'but we won't discuss them any further since they aren't for anyone but seasoned pros.' It was like I was 17 again standing in front of the display.

After a month or so of eBay stalking, research and tinkering, I now have two that are working beautifully. They are by far the most accurate airbrush I've ever used, when adjusted well, I can get a consistent line at 0.010". Can place a dot anywhere.

It's a lot of work, I do not recommend it to anyone. My main use will be illustration, but there will be few models painted with it, like 1/35 oak leave patterns.

The red handled one is the later model, from 1980. The green, Bakelite handled one is, get this, from 1931. 89 years old and after cleaning and rebuilding, was painting like a champ. Can still get parts for it too.

IMG_5573.JPG
IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5593.JPG

Many moons ago I saw a new one for sale. It was like $250+ at the time. I also would like to see just how it works as it is such a weird design.

Apparently compressed air tools go back to 2000BC, but in 1799, Englishman George Medhurst invented the first motorized air compression system that was used primarily in the mining industry.

Stanley (the steamer guy) got an airbrush patent in 1876, so maybe steam?

Most AB patents just list 'gas'.

I found patents for a compressed air backpack painter, but can't open the image here (a TIFF) for some reason.

Aren't Tiff's used typically for computer graphics? I remember switching them out in my flight sims for specialized schemes

Back