• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AFV Stuart M5A1 - Finished.

AFV Stuart M5A1 - re-painted

Thanks, James, Mike (y) , and Dave!

Here it is with some dry-brushing of the final lightened enamel that I had sprayed. It matches (as you would expect...duh) and it is effective yet subtle. (Subtle meaning it still doesn't show up in the pictures. :laugh: )

I'll let it cure up for a couple of days and then "future" it for decals. Paint details now or later? :hmmm

Thanks for looking and the comments,

Bill

Stu_16.jpg

Thanks Terry and Mike.
I appreciate the support. (y)
A little progress.
Future, decals and a few details painted w/ Valejos.

Thanks for looking,

Bill

_decals.jpg

_dec_2.jpg

The yellow digits really set things off. Which tracks are you going to use? (y) :drinks

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Thanks Mike.
I am planning on using the rubber-band tracks that came with the kit.
Problem: They are a soft rubber compound, and the paint just rubs off of them. :(

It may just have to be a wash and some pigments. ...And no touching... :( (I like to play with them and make tank noises :blush: :laugh: )

Cheers,

Bill

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

I built the M-8 several years ago for my pa in law and used the Tamiya tracks. i dusted them with Tamiya spray primer, then painted them with Tamiya jar paints. The paint stayed on long enough to install the tracks and get it on the base. Of course, the tank noises came after. :D

I tried to do the same method on the Haunted Tank I was building, the tracks melted and came apart when I washed them after painting. :blink :blush: I purchased a set of Bronco workable link tracks to replace the kit parts, haven't opened the box yet. :laugh:

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Thanks Mike.
If the rubber band tracks that came with the kit go south on me, I have a couple of sets of the individual link tracks that came with the Academy M3A1 kit. That kit had the rubber band tracks (which I used) as well as the individual tracks.
So, we will see.

Cheers,

Bill

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

I don't know anything about targets Bill but I say that yours looks as if it will be killer.

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Bill I spray all my rubber band tracks with rattle can auto dark grey or black primer and hobby paint sticks
real well.

What have you got to lose?
Tony lee

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Apologies for being late to this thread.... Great looking project, lots of techniques here to try to emulate.

Ian

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Thanks Ian.
No apologies necessary. I'm just trying to emulate everyone else around here. :laugh:
I'm really just looking for some progress from one model to the next.

... What have you got to lose?
Tony lee
Right you are Master T! I'll just dig in! Cheers.

Thanks Paul.. Much appreciated.

Pinballing (bouncing from one thing to another) my way through the shop and beyond,

Bill

AFV Stuart M5A1 - decals

Thanks Dave, Thanks Mike.
Noises? i don't know exactly, ...the usual I guess. Brum, Brum,... clackyty lackaty...ecky-ecky- Knee-whump. :laugh:

I have lost a little momentum on this. I have been distracted with other things.
So, ... I applied a heavy coat of future to seal the decals and the rest of the enamel base coat. I gave it a wash with artists oil (raw umber) and rectified tupentine. The wash went on OK but it stayed gummey for over a week ( even under desk lights in an attempt to warm things up). I don't know what went wrong there. After it finally dried to where I could handle it without leaving fingerprints on it I gave it another pinwash with the same color but used oderlesss mineral spirit for the thinner.

I also found this photo of "Carol" on another site. Same registration numbers. AFV obviously based the model on this photo. Carol is on the decal sheet as well.

Thanks for looking. Cheers,

Bill

Carol_2_jpg.jpg

Stu_wash_1.jpg

Stu_wash_2.jpg

AFV Stuart M5A1 - wash

Beautiful work Bill! (y) I like reference photo! :coolio

All the best!
Dusan.

Back