• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A senior's bragging rights! Got it done!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
This has absolutely nothing to do with building models.

Ok Guys, As many of you may know, I am nearing my seventieth birthday. Some time ago, I set a goal to leg press 700 pounds (319 KG), by my birthday. I have been power lifting and weight training since I was a kid. I have done it all my life and really enjoy it.

When I did this today at the gym, everybody was in disbelief. Then as we talked afterwards, they learned my age and were flabbergasted! Some of the top power lifters in the world, less than half my age and twice my weight can't do this!

680 pounds loaded on the machine, half on one side and half on the other. A total of 14 - 45 pound plates, 630 pounds and the machine has 50 pounds of resistance unloaded. 680 pounds/309KG in total. This is no trick or photoshop thing. Susan took all four pictures and they went directly into the computer.

CIMG2525.jpg

Little old me preparing to press it.

CIMG2526.jpg

Legs pressing the weight all the way to max. Almost 700 pounds.

CIMG2527.jpg

A second pic to make sure one turned out. I could not have done it again today! Twice a week is all I can do this! Once is more than three times my body weight.

CIMG2528.jpg

Susan and i are now vacationing on the Gulf Coast in Kemah, Texas. Before I leave and head home, I will have done the full 700 pounds. Only one ten pound (4.5KG) plate on each side to go. That may seem ridiculous compared to 680 pounds, but.... I can only do one repetition now and that requires about a half hour of preparation. Three months to go to my birthday, should be a piece of cake!

I'm not doing this to brag, well...... actually I am doing this to brag! If anyone knows another 70 year old that can do this, I'd really like to meet them. A couple of my friends that are my age are using walkers for Christ's sake. Besides, old codgers like me have earned the right to brag!(y) (y) (y)

Bob

Re: A senior citizen's bragging rights!

Congratulations, you are only as old as you feel!

Regards,

Get some more pictures, I'm making a donut run..brb!

Seriously, congratulations! That's no easy task, anyone who's been on a press would know.

Congrats, Bob!! Better to burn out than to rust, to quote Neil Young. You go, brother!! (y)

You have every right to brag Bob, congrats to still kicking ass in the weight room :notworthy :notworthy

Tom

It's likely because you're such an ass-kicking modeler- so no surprise, Big Daddy! :laugh:

HOOO RAAAAH Great going Bob!!!!!!

TerryB)

You go Bob LaLane , ......... still kickin ass an takin names ............ Niiiiice :laugh:

Brag away Bob!

While he isn't lifting 700 pounds, my father-in-law is pretty agile for his age as well. He's close to your age and still cutting and tossing hay and working on his farm...looks young like you...and when we went on a mountain hike a few years back, he left us all in his dust. Glad to know guys like you Bob-- makes the rest of us learn to take better care of ourselves in the hopes of being as resilient when it is out time to hit 70 ;)

Speechless...

seriously. I know guys my age that lift weights and I'm not sure they do that much.

:blink

Way to go Bob! I was up to 600lbs when I tweaked my knee.

Congratulations, Bob!
Now, how many 12 ounce curls can you do?
Randy

Back