• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A mystery tool?

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
:blush:
Can you guys help me with identifying how this tool works.I picked it up recently in Japan but cannot fathom how it works. I presumed it was a rivet maker but one got it home I realised that I was an idiot:S .
- it has a hollow pencil like steel end tht unscrews.
- It came with a piece of wire that fits into the diameter of the point but does not go all the way through.
- There is nothing on the packaging to explain its use.

IMG_0283.jpg

I hope someone can help me.

Ian.

Nope you both have it right. By the way, please do NOT believe that flush rivets are dome shaped rivets ground down! I despise when people make stuff up. I used to have an A & P license set (Airframe and Powerplant) along with Avionics and flush head rivets were purpose shaped (like countersunk screw heads are) pushed in from the outside so that they are flush with the skin and hammered on the inside where a flat slug would replicate it.

Ian, like James, I have the MDC tool. I then found out that it is simply a beading tool. While MDC includes a nicely done PE alignment jig, this also comes in the CMK resin bolt sets.

Anyway, the price for a beading set with several sized tips is about $20USD.

Click on the image

For armor, this is useful to make screws. After making the flush headed rivet, use a small screwdriver to create the slot. Or use the tip of a knife to create a short slot in the middle, then rotate 90 degrees, repeat the slot and you have a Phillips head screw! While I have not seen that screw used on armor, it is used on civilian vehicles.

Regards,

I would not use them to punch plastic. Merely imprint. In jewelry, they are used to bead stones settings.

Regards,

I press and twist to get the distinct circular shape of a flush rivet, which as Saul has stated is not a dome rivet ground down. Do that and you have a hole with a piece of metal in it. This would be useful to make dzues fasteners also by adding the slot or maybe a micro jewelers screwdriver to make a philips head.

James

Thanks guys, excellent support. I purchased it as a rivet maker so I am glad that that is what it is. Thanks for the links as well.
(y) :) :)

Saul,I have an MDC rivet maker as well.

Ian.

Back