• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A mini fleet of little wood boats

Boat #3

This one has been simple

The planking is applied to form a V hull. All faired in.

The V bottom made it handle well with an outboard motor. Has a more vertical stern and stem.

EJ

Boat #4. This was one I built with advice from Grandpa. It is clinker built (lapstrake) hull. This is my favorite. This is completely scratchbuilt.

Faired in and braced

Note the planks have a taper planed in them so they lay flat againsed each other

The edges marked for the correct amount of overlap

The planks steamed and the first row applied and the braces marked for the next row.

second row

4 rows - always do both sides at the same time so the hull frame doesn't get pulled out of alignment.

5 rows - the top row is not beveled - everything faired in and the false stem installed

The false keel

Next post, the fiddly stuff - some trim and necessary parts, sanding sealed and sanded and some paint.

EJ

Very, very impressive work EJ! I love watching these come together. I also love Boat number 4. Keep going man!

Didn't get too much done this week. Started at school with the kids as a "Bridge Building" mentor for Science Olyimpiad. Had so much fun last year I decided to help out again even though my grandson has moved on to high school.

So the bevel goes to the top. :hmmm

Lovin' this. :popcorn

Yes MP, the slight flat spot or bevel allows the following plank or strake to lay flat to the previous one.

This week I mostly finished up skiff #1. The last thing was to make the oars, so I decided to make 4 pairs all at once. A stick of birch dowel, with two pieces of basswood 1/16 X 1/8 X 2 1/4 glued to the end. I formed the handle end to shape on my 1 X 42 belt grinder, then glued the blades on. Roughed the blade ends in on the grinder, then hand sanded them to final shape. Some will be painted, some stained and varnished.

EJ

Yes EJ glad to see you back at this boat building ... Your a master carpenter .... excellent work & good luck in the bridge building competition ... (y)

P.S. I like #4 also ... :captain

Thanks everyone. Number 1 skiff is done. I followed the instructions and box art to get more or less an "out of the box" build. As you know, wood kits are more of a box of materials then a box of parts. The only "parts" were two sheets of die-cut pieces for the knees and planking. The only exceptions to the instructions are - I stained the duckboards antiquie grey to represent weathered wood. If painted or varnished they get very slippery. I lightly stained the oars with minwax colonial maple wood stain to bring out the wood a bit and used gloss clear for a finish to represent marine spar varnish.

Next up - Skiff #2, modified version of this kit.

EJ

Beauty. Simple, clean lines...just marvelous. I'd take that for a little row out on Lk Whatcom. B)

Back