• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A mini fleet of little wood boats

I have an old Friend. Dave Rosenberger. He was a Snipe (No offense!) on the old CVS Essex too. Do you know him, EJ?
These are amazing lil' Boats! :captain :eek:ldguy :notworthy (y)

Will any of them have sails?

I have an old Friend. Dave Rosenberger. He was a Snipe (No offense!) on the old CVS Essex too. Do you know him, EJ?
These are amazing lil' Boats! :captain :eek:ldguy :notworthy (y)

Will any of them have sails?

Thanks. I don't remember the name. I worked in "B" (boiler) division, but was a Machinist's Mate, not a Boiler Tender. I worked in the evaporator room. Early 1960's. I looked in the Essex Association roster but apparently he is not a member. I looked in my 1961/62 and 62/63 cruise books, but not there either. What years was he aboard? I'm the assistant treasurer for the USS ESSEX association. Would love to sign him up. I can send him some membership info.

None of these will have sails. When we were kids, we sometimes would jury rig sails, some real strange looking stuff.

EJ

Dave was a trucking magnate here in Iowa, until his wife, Doris, became ill. He is semi-retired, but owns this business now:
http://motorkars-ii.com/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=1&Itemid=4

He tells stories about the shaft alleys. I retract my "Snipe", at this time! :captain :eek:ldguy :salute

Sounds like he was also was a Machinist's Mate. "Snipe" is a Navy term for anyone in the engineering groups. BT, MM, EM, etc. Nothing derogatory at all. Machinist's Mates were sometimes called monkey mates too. The Propeller on the rating badge kinda resembles Micky Mouse, plus the obvious - MM. The Navy has a nickname for just about everything.

EJ

Haven't gotten as much bench time as I would have liked over the holidays, but here's a short update on boat #2.
Finished installing the inwales, primed and sanded the interior and hull. This time I did not use sanding sealer first, instead using acrylic primer. Tried Model Master and Vallejo. The Model master seemed to work better, but it still took 4 coats of primer. I'll go back to using sanding sealer first on the next one. I painted all the whitework with Vallejo, two coats. The hull is a carvel hull (boards edge to edge) and I wanted that to show. I think it does that. I'm not good at mixing colors to get what I want. Gotta get something that matches out of the can. All of grandpa's boats were painted with some boat to boat differences in the scheme, but with basically the same color, a "marine green". Sooo, I went to my cousins at the lake and he had a can of enamel boat paint. I filled a 2 oz bottle and took it home. After thinning it out with mineral spirits, I painted the oar shafts. Seemed to work fine, so I painted the floor and chine of the boat a coat as well. The bottom and a bit above the chine on the exterior will get the same color as well. The paint is fresh in this pic.

I don't ever remember seeing oar locks like the ones in the kit. So, I modified the kit one's, adding a pin to them so the pin would go through the oar shaft and be permanently fastened to the oar. I still have to make the metal receiver for the oarlock pin. Gotta pick up a piece of brass sheet for that today. The oarlocks were zinc plated or galvanized so I'll just leave them metal. They turned out OK.

Next up - the seats, duckboards and stuff.

EJ

PS - Belated Merry Christmas everyone.

Well, after a long time, I finally finished this little fleet and took them to the club to show last nite. My new years resolution was to clear some of the projects off the bench this year, and this was a good start.

Since the old picks are gone re the Photobucket incident, I'm just posting the completed stuff.

The first is the Midwest kit of a Dory. Kinda got my mind working about the boats I built with my grandpa as a kid.

1yTvSlD.jpg

Next was grandpa's version of a "speedboat". Had a powerful 5 HP Evinrude on it. This was built from the materials from another Dory kit.

ZqgUZwI.jpg

The next two were all scratchbuilt. Both were built for fishing, so the tackle box, cane poles and bait cans are included.

O0beYZF.jpg

c8fkq1q.jpg

The anchors, poles, cleats, bait cans and rowlocks (except for the first Dory) were scratchbuilt. Made a nice clear spot on the bench too. :cheer:

EJ

Back