• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Great Pair of Jugs :)

Hi Folks! Finally got the bulk of moving in done and the list of chores from the boss is getting much shorter. (even though she seems to add to it everyday!) I spent the weekend getting the man cave unpacked and situated and got the hobby desk to the point where I can start poking around a little bit. :yipee

So if you last remember I had last attempted to clean up the gap on one of the formation lights using CA glue. Well I pulled out my polishing kit today and finished up, and it turned out really well if I do say so myself.

Pic5_1.jpg

I’m not happy with my experiment making the lenses, but I am happy with how well the clear part now mates to the wing. So, with my new found confidence I decided to clean up the formation light on the other wing. It didn’t really follow the contours of the wing very well…

Pic5_2.jpg

After filling the gaps with CA glue, a shot of accelerator, sanding with progressively finer grade of sanding sticks, followed by the polishing kit I have this…

Pic5_3.jpg

I’m really happy with the results. Thanks to MP for the advice on this one! I’ll polish both up with Tamiya polishing compounds when I polish out the canopy later on.

I also broke out the aftermarket that I plan to use on the bubbletop and gave them a bath in some dish detergent and warm water. I think I am going to go with minimal aftermarket on the bubble top and then really pimp out the razor back and use the appropriate corrections available for the P-47N, at least that’s my plan today.

Here’s a look at the bubble top’s resin

Pic5_4.jpg

I have the Vector cockpit sidewall correction for the P-47D-25, Quickboost main landing gear doors, Sierra Hotel P-47D wheels, without covers, and Ultracast seat and an Eduard detail set for the P-47 bubble top. I don’t plan to use much more then the instrument panel and gun sight parts from the Eduard set. That’s the kit cockpit floor in the picture.

I also started assembly of the floor. I added a little photo etch panel with some levers on it and I added the rear bulkhead. I also plugged up the mount holes for the kit seat using some plastic rods. Once the glue cures I’ll scribe in the floor pattern. It won’t be perfect, but it’ll be under the seat and way better then a couple holes in the floor!

Pic5_5.jpg

So that’s where I am for now. This cockpit is about ready for primer and some paint so I’ll set it aside and catch the Razorback up. Hopefully there will be some furious building on my part over the next few weeks! Really want that ribbon!

See you all next time!
Mike

Glad ta see ya back at the bench & got moved in for the most part!! (y) (y) :drinks Nice job on the formation lights

Ok I like this AC think I'll look into building one for this ribbon also ... Nice nose art ... I was looking for something like these ... don't think will be as nice as yours Mike ... but I'll have some great references to go by ... looking very good ... :popcorn

Hey guys! Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope the finished product will do them justice!

I’m here with a little bit of progress today. Unfortunately its become painfully obvious that between my travel schedule for work and the remainder of real life, I am probably not going to finish either of these in time for the end of the campaign, :bang head but we can just kick it over to the déjà vu and I’ll keep marching along. :soldier

Here is a short update for today. Been working on the cockpits. Typically these are my least favorite part of a build, not really sure why, but I really just dread doing the cockpits.

After getting the basic sub-assemblies completed I broke out the airbrush and started some painting. P-47s built by republic did not use the same interior green as most allied aircraft of the time. They were instead painted in Dull Gull Green as its been called. After some research online and I settled on Model Master Euro Dark Green (FS34092), which is a close match to the color cockpit photos in the Detail and Scale book on the P-47. Oddly enough the cockpit color for P-47s built under license by Curtis, the P-47G, is the same interior green as used on other US aircraft in WWII.

After laying down the green, I sprayed on a future gloss coat and then a wash using MIG dark wash, followed be a MM lacquer flat. Here is the Bubbletop:

Pic6_1.jpg

And the Razorback

Pic6_2.jpg

As we all know the razorback and the bubbletop P-47 are both D variants of the aircraft, with the bubbletop being a later development of the P-47D. during development there were a variety of changes and some parts of the cockpit layout changed as well. Tamiya uses the same cockpit parts for both aircraft versions with the exception of the rear bulkhead. The layout of the equipment on the side walls was different however. Here is a shot with the comparison of all three different manufactures takes on the sidewalls. In truth, none of them exactly match my reference photos! But I have to say, the Tamiya detail is pretty good considering its OOB and pretty closely matches the Razorback cockpit. The Vector walls correct for the differences for the bubbletop and look really really nice while the Aires detail is fantastic as well.

Pic6_3.jpg

Next was the detail painting, using a variety of colors, mostly from Vallejo.

Pic6_4.jpg

And here’s a close up of the sidewalls for the cockpits. I’m not sure if they could use some more work or not. What do you all think?

Pic6_5.jpg

That’s where I am for right now. Next step will involve getting the cockpits together and the fuselage halves ready for buttoning it all up.

Thanks for looking!
Mike

With a thread title like that and my weak heart I was afraid to look Skinny. :hmmm
I got my nitro pills out just in case and turned the page.

47s are one of my favorites. Hey Pup you got any of that popcorn and soda left?

Uncle Tony :eek:ldguy

I feel for you on the travel woes, I got one more road trip to make in about two weeks and after that, I don't think there's any more sites I CAN visit, much less need to visit.

Keep pluggin' along on this and we'll see if we have to move it to Redux. :popcorn

Hey guys, I’m back with another quick update.

First up was assembly of the bubbletop cockpit. The vector sidewalls fit the kit floor with out any major issues.

Pic7_1.jpg

And the tub completed.

Pic7_2.jpg

Next I wired up the back of the instrument panel. The glare shield if you will, does not cover the back of the instrument panel on the P-47 and I wasn’t sure how much of that area would be visible on the kit. Tamiya gives a few lumps that represent the back of some of the instruments, so I drilled some small holes and used some lead wire to represent the electrical lines, etc. In the end I didn’t paint them, not really sure if I should have or not. :idonno I drilled a hole in the front of the firewall that the bundle passes through.

Pic7_3.jpg

This was a little bit of practice working with the lead wire, as I plan to use it for the same purpose on a couple of future builds where these type of cockpit details will be much more visible. I am happy with the result.

Once wired up, the IP was installed and the cockpit, wing spar and supercharger were all installed in the fuselage and the halves were assembled. After about a ½ hour of letting the glue set, I installed the wings. Now I’ll let it all set and then spend some time cleaning up the seams.

Pic7_4.jpg

Pic7_5.jpg

Pic7_6.jpg

Well that’s where I am. Unfortunately now I have to run off to the airport, so no more building until next weekend :(

Thanks for watching folks, and as always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Mike

I'm about 75% sure that the wiring for the IPs would be in a white, or beige color. Bet you'd be safe with what you have once the windshield is in place.

:popcorn

I'm about 75% sure that the wiring for the IPs would be in a white, or beige color. Bet you'd be safe with what you have once the windshield is in place.

:popcorn

You're probably right pup, but I am using the bubble top as sort of a practice build for both the P-47 razorback and the P-47N builds, so a few inaccuracies here and there don't bug me too much. I am really keen on the NMF though...

:soldier

Back