• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A couple new builds, some in-progress pics

matrixone

Here is Tamiyas odd little double kit of the Me 163 & Me 262 in 1/100 scale, I have had this box in my stash for years and now is as good a time as any to build these two.

The box top
401903383.jpg

construction begins
401903382.jpg

airframes are built and pre-shading begins with a base coat of light gray
402001422.jpg

the black for the pre-shading
402001418.jpg

the RLM 76 white-blue sprayed on to tone down the black pre-shading
402001416.jpg

I have just started spraying on the first upper-surface color, the paint is still wet so no pics of this yet.

Matrixone

Looking good Les, not sure why you couldn't edit but you got the pictures working. Better have that airbrush tuned up for that small of a camo job.

Thanks Moon Puppy,
Painting the camo is not going to be that bad, the biggest problem so far was deciding what markings to use on both models, I don't have hardly any decals that might work for 1/100 scale and if the kits decals are bad it could be a real headache. The kit decal sheet has some wildly inaccurate markings choices but I think I can modify them enough to where I can make them work for me.

Matrixone

I've never seen those before.Man that would be tiny. I'll keep an eye on this build (y) (y) :popcorn
James

Thank you James!

I actually like this scale and it would be a good scale for larger aircraft like WWII bombers, too bad Tamiya don't make any new kits in this scale because they would be terrific.

Matrixone

You have better eye sight than me Les :) If i was airbrushing pre shade like that it would be all over the place like and ant crawled along it :)

Thanks Paddy!
I had to hold on to these models during airbrushing which made painting more difficult than usual, if I did not hold them down the air from the airbrush would blow them all over the place.

Two more in-progress pics, this time almost all of the camouflage has been painted on the models. I ran out of my normal Model Master enamel paint color RLM 82 and had to switch to a tin of Xtracolor RLM 82, not sure I like this paint color but its all I had at the time.
The thing sticking out of the rear of the Me 163 is a wooden toothpick, this came in very handy as a way to hold the model during painting.
The Me 262 has been painted in an unusual camo pattern and has RLM 81, RLM 82, and RLM 83 on the uppersurfaces, markings for the Me 262 will be ''white 7'' and is an aircraft that not only survived the war but also is thought to be one of the Me 262s that was used by Kommando Nowotny. I still have to mask and paint a narrow yellow band on the fuselage aft of the cockpit.
402031456.jpg

402031454.jpg

Matrixone

Beautiful work. You did the mottleing incredaqbly well for such tiny models. Awesome stuff (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

OK, I had to get my Opti Goggles out.. There really are models there? You sure?

I'm with others... toooooooo tiny for these old eyes...

Looking really good!

Fixed the links in the first post for you, so the second was deleted as redundant. Really nice airbrush work there!

Regards,

Thanks Paddy!
I had to hold on to these models during airbrushing which made painting more difficult than usual, if I did not hold them down the air from the airbrush would blow them all over the place.

Two more in-progress pics, this time almost all of the camouflage has been painted on the models. I ran out of my normal Model Master enamel paint color RLM 82 and had to switch to a tin of Xtracolor RLM 82, not sure I like this paint color but its all I had at the time.
The thing sticking out of the rear of the Me 163 is a wooden toothpick, this came in very handy as a way to hold the model during painting.
The Me 262 has been painted in an unusual camo pattern and has RLM 81, RLM 82, and RLM 83 on the uppersurfaces, markings for the Me 262 will be ''white 7'' and is an aircraft that not only survived the war but also is thought to be one of the Me 262s that was used by Kommando Nowotny. I still have to mask and paint a narrow yellow band on the fuselage aft of the cockpit.
402031456.jpg

402031454.jpg

Matrixone

That's so cool! And to think you could build a little wind tunnel in 1:100 scale. :geek

nice job on the paint so far Les.

Thanks Moon Puppy!
I don't really need a wind tunnel for the Me 163, the air from the airbrush caused it to take flight once or twice and thats why I used the the wooden toothpick to hold on to the thing since its so tiny.

Did a little more painting on these models, the nose of the Me 163 and fuselage band on the Me 262 was masked and sprayed yellow. Both models will soon be given their clear gloss coats in preparation for adding the decals.

402075749.jpg

Matrixone

Thanks Moon Puppy,
Decals are being put on right now which is the worst part of this project, the decals are in poor condition and they are not only very fragile but some are in the wrong proportions to the sizes needed.
I might have new in-progress pics later today.

Matrixone

Back