• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

40k Storm Eagle

Heavens Eagle

CTA Entry - Heavens Eagle - 40k Storm Eagle

Yes folks this is a LATE entry, but I am going to hammer on it just the same. Mostly out of the (bag) but any of these Forge World kits are always built and painted on a custom basis.

I will be adding other parts (bits) from other kits and sprues to this as I go along and decide how I want it finished. The final paint and markings are still up in the air. :eek:hmy:

There are already some changes that will be needed as the look is not what I will be happy with. :blink

So here is the first photo to get things started. Posts will be necessarily off and on as I will be under the build gun.

StormEaglePg00_zpsa60ea08a.jpg

Re: CTA Entry - Heavens Eagle - 40k Storm Eagle

This ought to be interesting. (y)

All right! I've heard good things about Forge World stuff- glad to see it being built firsthand!

I have a little bit more to add tonight. Got hit by the cold bug going around work so am hitting the sack early. Had a little time to do some quick editing though so here is a little update.

StormEaglePg01_zps4c2e995d.jpg

StormEaglePg02_zps2cf6e8e6.jpg

:beer

TOOLS! Look at those tools!

:popcorn

I see the logo in the corner, created with Canvas, can you tell us more about that? is it this website or something else?

https://canvas.instructure.com/login

As for tools, "you ain't seen nothin yet" Wait till the next installment.

As for the Canvas logo, it is the software I use to do my photo installments. It is basically a tech illustrators dream. Scale drawings, photo editing, etc. The version I am using is X (or 10) Have not done enough with it over the last few years to justify the cost of a newer version.

You can learn more about it here and they have a trial download as well version 14 ACD Canvas 14

I have always wanted to build some Warhammer stuff but its just waaaaaaaay to expensive - I still love seeing em build up though :coolio

(y) :popcorn

As for tools, "you ain't seen nothin yet" Wait till the next installment.

As for the Canvas logo, it is the software I use to do my photo installments. It is basically a tech illustrators dream. Scale drawings, photo editing, etc. The version I am using is X (or 10) Have not done enough with it over the last few years to justify the cost of a newer version.

You can learn more about it here and they have a trial download as well version 14 ACD Canvas 14

Yikes! They think a lot of it don't they. Guess I'll stick to Gimp for the little stuff I have to do.

:coolio :popcorn

Well here is the next installment folks. Some more new tools for you Moon Puppy!
Would have been a bit further along but the crud that someone brought to work HIT me Friday and I was pretty much a wash till today. :bang head
Anyway dealing with the rubber-resin that FW uses is a pain in the (woohoo!) :D As you will see.

So here it is:

StormEaglePg03_zpsed6597c7.jpg

StormEaglePg04_zpsac448b61.jpg

StormEaglePg05_zpsb431fb6e.jpg

That's it for now, off to bed need sleep more soon!

Jiggy baby! Really like that jig, you marketing it at all?

Just to give a little idea of what "can" happen if you do the de-warp thing wrong, here is the pic of the first thing I tried to repair or actually flatten a little. At this point I don't remember for sure if I had it too hot, or too long in the hot water. Anyway it was a major fail on the Eduard 1/48th Hannover CL III upper wing.

ToastedWingtotalwarpage.jpg

I learned that the thermometer was quite important and also bought the pan such that it could all be inserted at once. Thus total control. I then used the clamping ability to make the new wing from scratch with a jig. Discovered that Evergreen plastic requires hot temps (200 degrees F) and time to make it change and hold shape.

Grt-War-GBHannover07.jpg

Grt-War-GBHannover08.jpg

Learned quite a bit from that process. Later on though, other things came up and this "Collection" of tools proved to be the answer by building some more bits to go with it.

Grt-War-GBHannover20.jpg

Grt-War-GBHannover21.jpg

Grt-War-GBHannover22.jpg

A way to hold and align (perfectly) a non-flat part. The holes came out exactly on the mark and showed some other flaws with the kit.

The last thing I have used this jig arrangement with was to align and perfectly hold the horizontal stabilizer on another kit to glue and then allow to dry.

Also it has been used to align the blades on a propellor for a Fw 190 There are some jigs available just for that job, but this worked perfectly.

Fw190A8-NFp17.jpg

The prop set quite accurately. So good that from the side running on my lathe the tips were perfectly in line.

As to marketing, I would need to invest in machinery and have a place. While all the parts are fairly simple, it would require a lot of them. Also an option for a larger plate or ways to bolt on other plates would be a good idea. Have thought about working with a company that already makes tools for our hobby, but am still developing tools, and it could end up being a problem.

Anyway am working on the Storm Eagle and have run across numerous resin problems that just required cutting, filing, sanding and adding Evergreen sheet stock to repair or improve poor or bad details.

More installments on that soon.

Really nice work here, watching out for details that must of us would take for granted. LOVE the lathe! Don't get distracted showing off your toys now, we're down to just under 3 weeks to get CTA entries finished.

If all this had not been easily available to just post I wouldn't have bothered. Some real world work today then more work on the rubber resin beast.

Just a quick update here. I don't have time to do the update I would like to do explaining how I got to this point. It will happen in due time, but for now am in a time crunch to get this done.

Here is the Storm Raven as of middle last night.

InProcess-01.jpg

InProcess-02.jpg

The center bulkhead was placed and glued to align and square up the assembly and the top front piece was then glued in place. The front part of the sides are about 1/16th of an inch short compared to the top part. The fronts on either side of the hatch need to be fixed anyway as there are gaps at the top on both sides. Also the back part will need shims added to level it up with the front part. There will be other more detailed photos and build explanations down the road.

Enjoy!

Nice paint job so far, looks like some hard work on the horizon. :popcorn

Auggh! Well folks I have not thrown in the towel yet, but am already pretty sure it just isn't going to make it. Too many parts needed serious modifying to get the assembly together (read that as virtually EVERY resin part) Am almost to a point of doing external paint, but at the rate it is going paint won't be going on till next weekend if then. When it takes an evening to try and make 2 parts fit (and then they still don't) it kind of slows things down. :bang head

On the other hand it is almost done and at this point all the really difficult stuff is done. Just the piddly details and figuring out the paint scheme I want it done in. Some small modifications done in the process and a lot of photos taken along the way. Will post some serious in process "How I did it and what" starting this coming weekend.

Here are the latest "In Process"

InProcess-03.jpg

InProcess-04.jpg

Back