• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

3D stuff is an addiction

jknaus

Administrator
Well as part of my gifts for Christmas my eldest son gave me an amazon gift card and I used it to help buy 4 more kilograms of resin and a 5TB external hard drive to clean up my computer. Of the 2.4 TBs that I just finished transferring to that hard drive just over 1.5 TBs are 3D files. Figures, model parts, tools and stuff. I thought I had a lot of pictures from the net, but that was only 600GBs worth. My computer is a lot lighter now. Getting into 3D has really been an addictive undertaking. Now what to print next??
James

M-41 Gorilla, scaled up to 1/35? It would be the only kit of this Korean War SP made in Canada!
Hell, It would be the only kit of this made in the English-speaking world!

Kenny Bendon was cool, old guy. A little spark-plug of a man. A white-headed, bandy-legged grampa. He used to visit us on job sites when we worked in his neighborhood. He would tell us stories about his war. The Korean war. He hardly ever answered any questions. It didn't take long to figure out Kenny was deaf as a stone.
He was a US Army crewman on the M-41 Gorilla. He said at Chosin, they would open the breech, look down the barrel at the Chicoms, load and fire the 155 directly at them. 6 Guns in his platoon. It was easy to see how ol' Kenny lost his hearing after that story.
He died a couple of years back. Kenny was my friend. His son, Donny and I remain friends.

I know! How about Fort Sumpter in 1862? :lol: :yipee: :lol:
1/700 scale, please!

I sent both of these ideas to my Son-in-law in Texas as well. He has a new FDM printer he's really excited about.
I will spend whatever $$ required to not buy from the Chinese.

Cool stuff. Scaling up wouldnt look very good though. But seems Bronco made an M-41 Gorilla. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bronco-cb35217-us-m41-gorilla-155mm-howitzer-motor-carriage--1236204
Hmmm, I cant see if that Fort Sumter is a STL file or not, but did find this one in 1/600. https://www.wargaming3d.com/product/fort-sumter/
Its very worth while talking to the older guys and hearing their stories. We had one Korea vet here in town but he wouldnt talk about it. Was blinded over there. I havent seen him in a long time though.

James

Okay I am confused. Fort Sumter's walls are 170 to 190 foot long. CSS Sumter is 182 feet long. I've never been there, but this seems like a tiny fort or am I missing something. Putting a 1/700 fort and ironclad side by each and the boat is bigger looking. Seems very odd.
James

Just measuring the straight part of the walls, yep. But that doesn't account for the angles, it's bigger than dimension show but not as big as one would expect.

The smaller revolutionary war Fort Moultrie can bee seen with the naked eye from the flight deck of USS Yorktown in Charleston Harbor.
To see Fort Sumter properly requires a boat ride.
Open the google map and go north to find Patriot's Point Naval museum. CV-10 and USS Laffey can be found at their moorings. USS Clamagore is no longer at her berth.

Back