• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

32nd scale Trumpeter Wildcat Parts needed

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm just about to buy another kit and I thought I would give this a shot. I'm looking for 3 parts in particular from the Trumpeter 1:32 scale F4F-3 Early Wildcat kit 2255.

The two parts that make up the intercooler assembly and the forward firewall where the engine mounts.

tru_2255_parts5.jpg

The lower right section of this sprue is what I need. I don't have the part numbers but you can clearly see what's needed.

If you have these parts as spares I sure would appreciate and will pay anything within reason.

Short of that, I will by the entire kit, I'm talking about kit 2255.

Last resort is to buy one new, that means I have to build another Wildcat! No really, it's not that I like them that much, just they keep showing up at my door! :unsure: :blink

Re: Wildcat Parts needed

Could you not just use 40 thou plastic and cut out the shape, then sand edges round?
James

Re:Wildcat Parts needed

Hi Moon Puppy.

The "40 thou" refers to the thickness of sheet plastic. As in sheet plastic as available from Plastruct or Evergreen etc, that is .040 thick. You know . Scratch building. Trust me, it's tons of fun ;)

Gary B)

Re:Wildcat Parts needed

D'oh! I've thought of this but would likely do it in brass. the firewall section is what I am apprehensive about. scratch making something that large and symmetrical that will be critical to the mounting of the engine. I don't know. If you look at the original pictures it is constructed by overlapping sections, that may be the ticket. What I'm looking at is the time that would require vers the price of a new kit. I'm even smoking over the idea of turning this into a -3 without the folding wings.

I had to change the title as I thought you meant 1/48th scale. :(

Can't help you buddy other than tell you to scratch it. Make a template, flip it over, symmetry!

Regards,

Thanks Saul, Eduards has a PE entercooler but it's not exactly what's needed. I've not been able to find a sure nuff picture of the full assemble and have guestimated the previous one I did last year. This one looks to include the duct work to the Carbs but some how I don't think that's correct either.

But you know, if I'm having so much trouble finding really good reference, who's going to call me on it other than someone who worked on the thing, and then I'll ask them where were they when I was asking for help!

Fine. I did it. Bruce called me the other day and the LHS close to his work was having a sale of plastic. The same place Mike and his folks meet every month. So through blinding glare and ice covered roads I trek up to Spartanburg to check out the stock they wanted to reduce.

Picked up some shades of AlcladII and turned the corner of the aircraft row, and what sat there? Kit 02255, Marked over 80 bucks, minus the 30% brought it back to the same price I see on the web without shipping. LHS now has one less Wildcat to inventory Monday. REALLY thought about getting that big'o dang PT boat but really, where in the world will I put it!

And I STILL forget to get some fresh CA!

moon puppy wrote:
Fine. I did it. Bruce called me the other day and the LHS close to his work was having a sale of plastic. The same place Mike and his folks meet every month. So through blinding glare and ice covered roads I trek up to Spartanburg to check out the stock they wanted to reduce.

Picked up some shades of AlcladII and turned the corner of the aircraft row, and what sat there? Kit 02255, Marked over 80 bucks, minus the 30% brought it back to the same price I see on the web without shipping. LHS now has one less Wildcat to inventory Monday. REALLY thought about getting that big'o dang PT boat but really, where in the world will I put it!

And I STILL forget to get some fresh CA!
I suppose as your robbing this one you could experiment. Maybe not add the firewall forward and tarp that area. Remove some control surfaces and make a dio of a rob bird. Something with battle damage. Maybe open the gun bays and leave the plumbing. Just a thought.
:evil: Heres the evil thought :evil: Just tarp the cockpit also. Then park it under a palm tree.

James

Thanks James, that would be neat, have just the frame of the rudder, all surface rotted away, but I think I"m going to do the -3 wheels up in yellow wing scheme. Find some sort of base to display it on, need a pilot figure sitting inside. That way I can get away with a lot of detail not being there because it's all buttoned up.

Back