• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2021 Plastic Surgeons Meeting posts

An impromptu and personal mini-club meeting was held this evening at the Barry residence.
Don wanted to see me about "something important" so Teresa and I went up after my work day for a visit. He didn't know we would have a club meeting, but my Sweetie and I brought our projects for Show & Tell. Dian attended, since she lives there too and declared she would conduct the meeting and join the fun. :smack:

HA! Any Plastic Surgeon knows "conducting" one of meetings, however small, is an illusion! Silly Mrs. Barry! :facepalm::yipee:
Don's been out of sorts of late and hasn't been to a regular Club meeting so I recorded his projects to share!
20210908_182022.jpg
Someone you don't want to mess with. Perhaps our Treasurer, George would look a little like this if he was a sword-wielding, fur-lined Norseman!
20210908_182040.jpg20210908_182054.jpg20210908_182051.jpg
A tribute to Sir Sean Connery. Major General Roy Urquhart in the film "A Bridge Too Far" and King Richard the Lionheart of England in his Crusades gear.
20210908_182146.jpg20210908_182306.jpg20210908_182249.jpg
Two of Young Miniatures German machine gunners. An MG-42 from the Wehrmacht and an Edelweiss division MG-34 Gunner.
Don comments on the excellent castings and excellent details of Young B. Song's resin busts. Check out the Mountain Division "Edelweiss" insignia on the gunners cap! :notworthygood:
20210908_182439.jpg20210908_182447.jpg
A Tamiya plastic German soldier with the 4-legged mount for an MG-42 on his back. Don has a "Thing" for German WWII machine gunner figures and busts. His skill and attention to detail show on every one of his builds.
20210908_182601.jpg20210908_182652.jpg
A Confederate Army sharp-shooter, peeking over the top of his position. He's been in action for sometime, by the look of his beard and his lack of socks. He looks vigilant and hungry! I don't remember who's kit it is.
I am hard pressed to pick between the Sir Sean Connery tribute busts or this Rebel soldier as a favorite.
20210908_183357.jpg
Teresa brought her recent wooden puzzle/models to the mini-meeting. Her humongous RMS Titanic and her music box powered Biplane-go-round made their debut this evening. The Marble Run continues to be a crowd (?!?) pleaser. Mrs. Barry spent a goodly amount of time admiring the Gigantic Titanic. We allowed such because Dian was, after all, conducting the meeting.:rimshot:lol:

As a counterpoint to the bigger models, I brought my well documented waterline sailboats and 1/700 Martin Marlins. Don and Dian admired the Revenue Cutter Caleb Cushing (with their glasses on) and agree it is my best casting yet.

Now, the "Something Important" Don wanted to see me about.
20210908_204244.jpg

This is Chuck Sterns 1990 painting of the P-47D Razorback Thunderbolt scoring a victory over an ME-109G in late 1944. This is a framed PRICELESS ORIGINAL. Not a print. The only one of it's kind, from our departed model mentor and artist. Don insists I take this home for my very own. No refusal would be considered. There are no words to say how honored I feel by such a gift. I might have gotten just a little misty about this part of the mini-meeting. It's possible I may be a little misty still.

Now for our friends and membership, I will share why "our Giant" has been feeling blue of late without too personal many details.
Dian requires constant care following her "injury". Don, as loving husband and primary caregiver must make sure Dian gets her critical medications 4 times a day, everyday, because she sometimes forgets.

He believes this means that the days of car-rides to hobby shops and trips to model shows with the Men that love and revere him may have come to an end. I pray this is not so.
He kept me amused (and awake) with his renditions of Richard Pryor's comedy while we were on the road together in lousy weather more times than I could number.

He was party to the night I tried to sleep in a roll-away bed in ST. Louis and got folded up in it. Mike was there too!

Don was the Man that devastated the "All You Can Eat" pancake special at Steak and Shake that same trip.

Once on a trip to Madison, Don mistook his fifth of Black Velvet for a pint and did his level best to finish it off, then spent much of the contest day feeling less than awake. (happily snoring away in a hallway chair!) George was there too. So were Aimee & Joe.

I encourage anyone that knows Don to call, or drop by to visit to make sure he knows he is not left behind or forgotten.
Yep! Playing the Plastic Surgeons "OHANA" card. Life happens. It happens all the time. It isn't always easy or fun.

For my big buddy I say, Keep your stick on the ice. I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together. Thank you, Don.

I guess I will have to surprise Don with a call soon. I have his number and I am sure he could use some guy hobby chat time among other things. That painting is awesome Chris!

I called Don the day before yesterday from work (yeah, I know) and he was telling me about teaching his grandson the ins and outs of airbrushing. We didn't get to talk as long as I would have liked, but always good to talk with my old friends. Makes me miss being at home, but at least technology has made the distance a little shorter.
That was quite a gift Don bestowed on you, Mr. Rhiner, something from two good friends. :vgood:

PS. the Steak & Shake Great Russian Caper was an epic as well. St. Louis is still not the same.

Wow, I am overwhelmed. What a magnificent meeting and unbelievable gift! Man that is something else!

I wish I knew Don, but I don't believe we ever met. Please let him know that I'm praying for him and his wife.

We attended the 30 September club meeting, but we must go car shopping to replace Teresa's jaunty Sorento.
Car hunting supersedes model stuff. More details to come!

We attended the 30 September club meeting, but we must go car shopping to replace Teresa's jaunty Sorento.
Car hunting supersedes model stuff. More details to come!
I spent about 3 months looking on Cars.com before I found the Sienna I bought. It can take time and a little patience can help.

Speaking of patience, I pulled up at a STOP sign to day and rather than just go then I looked to the left (3 way stop, right turn) Good thing I did as a stupid fat POS blew through their STOP sign without even slowing down. It would have been all over if I hadn't just done what I was supposed to and LOOKED! As I have said many times before, dip wads here in Memphis can't drive when it is sunny and dry. Let it get wet, rainy, dark, or just not paying attention it is all over.

It was savage terrorist rodents that caused the total loss of our spunky 2011 Kia Sorento. The little bastiges ate the engine loom wiring to 2 of the coil packs! Comprehensive covered the chipmunk damage.
20210921_172009.jpg
So we sallied forth into the World seeking an upgraded Kia. Our search carried us into the wilds of Story County. To the doorstep of Gookin Ford in Story City.
20211002_143315.jpg20211002_143325.jpg 20211002_143219.jpg
Several interesting Ford classics were on hand. The 2014 GT-500 Shelby Cobra was my favorite! "Please Honey?! Doesn't every couple need 660 horsepower?! "
20211002_145440.jpg
At the end of our search Teresa bought the comfy and much more practical 2016 Kia Sorento. The "Silver Bullet" sports a new 2.4L. GDI engine and a much roomier, comfier cabin than our previous Sorento.

You may ask "Why is this a Modeling Subject, Rhino?! Geez!!"
20211002_151448.jpg20211002_182035.jpg
Because we also visited The Hobby Shop in Ames, where Don Barry's models are on display in the front window AND I bought a Car today too!!

In other Surgeon Meeting news from last Thursday,
20210930_184429.jpg20210930_184431.jpg
An old friend returned to our meeting space. NO! That isn't Dwight David Eisenhower!! That is good ol' Webb Groos.
20210930_194732.jpg
Francisco's family came by. The last time I saw Katherine, she was wee tot. "No wonder I'm falling apart. I'm OLD." Now she's going to Homecoming.
20210930_190340.jpg
Ross brought his finished 1/35 Bronco 35T Morserzugmittel. He also brought an older 1/35 Panzer 35T to show the difference between the two Skoda vehicles.

I had a lot more meeting pictures, but my Samsung camera somehow got formatted as heic files and I can't move them from the phone to show them. Nate's Ki-100 Goshikisan, I-16's and other 1/72 projects, Dave Bettis' 1/32 Monogram Panzerspahwagen, all lost to formatting errors. ZORN!

I can show you the gift Rafael Rivera sent to me with Francisco on his last Florida visit.
20210930_204208.jpg20210930_204235.jpg654745691.jpg
Probably the coolest challenge coin I have ever seen!
It was a fine meeting on a stormy midwestern Thursday evening! I apologize about the picture thing.
Happy Modeling!

Thanks for looking in!!

That challenge coin is awesome Chris! Teresa's new ride is nice looking! Hope it lasts her for a good long time!

My dad had a similar problem with squirrels and his old fishing boat when they ate up all the wiring. After that they became target practice with his trusty air rifle. Pfffftt - another dead squirrel and one less chance for more wiring damage.

Ross Petra comments:

"Ground squirrels are a plague. They have gnawed at the trim around the bottoms of my garage doors in the past. So far no wires eaten. But it is interesting what you said about the wires in Teresa's car. It reminded me that when the Germans were in front of Moscow holding the line in Winter 41/42, they parked tanks and vehicles in old farm sheds or built small dugout shelters or lean to sheds, and since the defensive line didn't move much the vehicles stayed parked much of the time. So in early spring they found that many wouldn't run because the wires had been eaten by rodents! Nothing new under the sun I guess."

It had been since Oktober but we finally made it to a Club Meeting! I finally started to feel good. Better than I had in a long time, so off we went to the Ankeny Hobbytown. 8 Club members attended our meeting, in unusually mild temperatures for December in Iowa. Ross, Joe, Curt, Jeff, Francisco (aka Frank) Webb, Teresa and myself.
20211209_192000.jpg20211209_192004.jpg20211209_192040.jpg
20211209_191951.jpg
Teresa's efforts since her drill press came home gleaned her $150.00 in sales. That's CASH sales. Pretty decent for a retired person!
20211209_192025.jpg20211209_192030.jpg20211209_192034.jpg
Joachim brought models. The 1/72 Academy Airacobra in Russian livery was a surprise to be sure. Joe said he just wanted to do something different, so He did He comments the kit decals are thin and fine bordering on delicate. The new 1/48 Airfix Bedford truck was interesting and the 1/72 Takom Soviet heavy tactical truck was more in line with Joe's builds

20211209_192012.jpg
CSS Florida, the Nancy schooner and Revenue Cutter Caleb Cushing made the voyage without mishap or loss.
Then Roscoe began to tell us about his Onkel. Evidently his relative served in the Wehrmacht during World War II. Ross thinks he may possibly have served in the DAK and then Italy.
20211209_200848.jpg20211209_201000.jpg20211209_201100.jpg20211209_201105.jpg20211209_201129.jpg20211209_201639.jpg
These interesting pieces are a German Army mess kit. The kit itself is stamped '43. The plastic/phenolic drinking cup is dated 1944 with the manufacturer's stamp as well. Then the cup with the bales folded out is the cap for the infantry water bottle.
The metal parts are all aluminium and painted Grunoliv. Yes friends, that IS the correct "Green". :lol:
The folding spork had seen some use!
It was impressive to see how the workmanship and finish has stood the test of time. Having served in the more modern Luftwaffe, Joe added his experiences with his mess kit. It seems the original design hasn't changed a heck of a lot! Evidently it didn't need much improvement.
So now when you paint your WWII German Infantry figures gear, you can see what the real thing looked like. Color me a romantic of sorts, but for myself I thought getting to actually put my hands on this piece of military history was really swell! A special "HARRUMPH!" and thanks to Ross for sharing some of his family history.

That's all for now! Thanks again for looking in!

A correction must be issued.
I must have not been doing very good listening when Roscoe told us about his Uncle.
He served in the US Army and the items pictured above where souvenirs, sent home to Ross' cousin.
He was not in fact a soldier in the German Wehrmacht. :tomato:

Back