• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1915 Romfell armoured car.

The next issue I encountered was the turret. It's made up of three parts that when glued up make the vertical sides of the turret. Problem is they didn't meet up all the way, leaving a slight gap. I was able to put in a strip of styrene that filled the gap, without losing any rivet detail.
20230320_140357.jpg
20230320_140327.jpg
20230320_140435.jpg
20230320_140636.jpg

Old Armored cars aren't usually my "Thing". This one is kinda cool, but we can also all see that the kind of attention to detail USS Constitution exhibits is evident in every model you make.

Old Armored cars aren't usually my "Thing". This one is kinda cool, but we can also all see that the kind of attention to detail USS Constitution exhibits is evident in every model you make.
This is a pretty crazy looking armoured car.

That looks like a freakin Schwarzlose! :silly:
Don't think I've heard the term before Tim. Got me googling before I even have my coffee.

Well...I was at the point of adding some interior grime when the Romfell flipped off the bench to the floor. I've lost a critical part of the exterior armor. So until I discover where ever it went this build is on hold. The part is one of the rear axle spring covers. If it shows up at one of y'alls places let me know...
20230402_192025.jpg

Bummer about losing a part. At my place the wormhole only goes one way and parts very seldom arrive from other locals. Will keep an eye out though if you'll keep an eye out for my front axle for my LS4500A.
James

When I was building the Bugatti aircraft, there is a very small part that attaches next to the instrument panel. It is a couple of control levers and is about 1/16th inch square. I whittled down the sprue connector and worked over the part and split the big single lever into two levers. (Big being relative the thickness was a little over 1/32 thick and 1/16 by 1/16) Anyway I noticed it was becoming a little loose while I was painting it.

Painted the parts and moved them over to the workbench from the spray booth. When I looked for it, the sprue had a stub and no part. Think flat pin head and you have the size. I ended up sweeping the floor and collected the dust in a dust bin and looked at it with magnification.

Yup, I found the part and it is on the model. I have a dark tile floor and no carpeting. Makes it easy to sweep up the plastic shavings.

When I was building the Bugatti aircraft, there is a very small part that attaches next to the instrument panel. It is a couple of control levers and is about 1/16th inch square. I whittled down the sprue connector and worked over the part and split the big single lever into two levers. (Big being relative the thickness was a little over 1/32 thick and 1/16 by 1/16) Anyway I noticed it was becoming a little loose while I was painting it.

Painted the parts and moved them over to the workbench from the spray booth. When I looked for it, the sprue had a stub and no part. Think flat pin head and you have the size. I ended up sweeping the floor and collected the dust in a dust bin and looked at it with magnification.

Yup, I found the part and it is on the model. I have a dark tile floor and no carpeting. Makes it easy to sweep up the plastic

Yup, I found the part and it is on the model. I have a dark tile floor and no carpeting. Makes it easy to sweep up the plastic shavings.
After a thorough search I've only found a piece of the part. I even found some parts from the Constition build that tweezer Lauched.

I have plenty of experience at doing the watchmaker's prayer position (crawling around with my nose to the floor) When you launch a watch part, in many cases you HAVE to find that part. So lots of practice in hunting small parts.
Panda facepalm.gif

The next issue I encountered was the turret. It's made up of three parts that when glued up make the vertical sides of the turret. Problem is they didn't meet up all the way, leaving a slight gap. I was able to put in a strip of styrene that filled the gap, without losing any rivet detail. View attachment 158410View attachment 158411
That a really pity, as I have this kit and all their others and they are not cheap. Down here they sell for over $100 each but they are really very small, so for that money I would expect Tamiya quality fit.

That a really pity, as I have this kit and all their others and they are not cheap. Down here they sell for over $100 each but they are really very small, so for that money I would expect Tamiya quality fit.
I was a bit disappointed with the poor fit of some of the parts. The main body panels, with their complex curves fit very good. But other parts needed a lot of work.
It's not a kit that can be painted in pieces then glued with the confidence that the parts are going fit together.
Copper State's Minerva kit was a dream to build, however, in my opinion the Romfell fell short.

Back