• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 "The Deep" dive boat Corsair and St. David's Lighthouse

In the late 1980's I dove Bimini where this was filmed and did dive on the wrecked boat and saw the lighthouse referred to.

I also called my mom to say hi from the same phone that Anthony Hopkins makes his call from in "The Silence of the Lambs" ending scene

20210626_073709.jpg20210626_073747.jpg
Bottom shading is done and the MiG water is on to depict an easy, long, running swell on the ocean base. Less is more, so I'm not rushing the acrylic water. 2 dinky bases arrived with my HLJ order. "Kwitcherbitchin'" 93' Powerboat at high speed goes on one of them. They are too little for the 1/700 Ironclads, but whaddyagonnado? :bm:

Thanks for looking in! :salute::oldguy::skipper:

In an effort to improve my model water, I watched all 3 of the AK videos. Some interesting techniques were shown, but I notice at the end of the 3rd video, The base being worked on shows no wind direction and the surface of the water seems oblivious to the passage of the vessel. No wake waves from any part of the vessel at any speed. As if the water surface was depicted during a seismic event, or during a huge rainstorm and the ship was stationary. I wouldn't say "Hey Reuben! You suck at ocean bases" but I need BETTER ocean water contours. The Sea is a dynamic medium. She is in motion perpetually. Almost a living thing.
20210628_173315.jpg
SOOOoooooooooooooo....................
Just a little bit at a time, I'm adding Mig (Jose) Jimenez' acrylic water material to the Corsair's base. It does no good to hurry. You can't rush the curing time. I expect a long gentle swell with a breeze the Bermuda flag will show at St. David's, and a working boat's purposeful, languorous wake.
20210628_173306.jpg
Then, knowing full well the 1/700 93-foot powerboat "Kwitcherbitchin'" needed a new base, I laid out high-speed wake lines on a dinky base. Most of this boat will be mostly out of the water with big wake waves and lots of spray. That being said, Kwitcherbitchin' underway would look just plain silly without crew figures.
20210627_171250.jpg20210627_180729.jpgJordan Carver boat crew.jpg
An attempt will be made to create Her female crew. I tried to add feminine details with C/A glue, acrylic water and Gator's glue.
As you can see, the bust-line of the 1/700 PEE figures is almost 3 times the thickness of the figure. The least endowed of these brass people may well resemble a sea-going Dolly Parton or Jordan Carver in this scale. Painting itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny bikinis should be a lot of fun! Take THAT, AGAIN Sonny Crocket!!

Thanks for looking in!

20210701_210646.jpg
Tamiya Clear Blue from the airbrush. I thought I might thin the MiG acrylic water enough to spray it, but then decided Future was already thinned enough. A few more future coats and Corsair can be mounted to her new base.
I am unimpressed with Acrylic water. PVA glue or Gator Glue could very well do the same thing. MiG claims their water is "Self-leveling". That's a bunch of HOOEY! The stuff in the jar just globs and hangs. No more of this for me.
20210701_211717.jpg20210701_224548.jpg
The Stynlrez acrylic white primer I bought brushes and sprays nicely. Clean-up is easy and coverage is good!
Thanks for looking in!

20210703_103435.jpg20210703_103604.jpg
I do love me some Paint Effects!
I put the 2 rocks back just off the shore and started accenting wake & wave. Corsair will get a little clean-up, even though She's a hard working boat, to make Her more pleasing to the eye. Highlighting the Sea Turtle will create a little more interest, one should think.
In my favorite scale, Acrylic Water seems superfluous. Gator Glue (shameless plug!) in both thicknesses and future work as well or better. There is still plenty of painting to touch up. A Bermuda flag to print and fly, a tiny 1941 GMC Pickup to pose buy the Keeper's house, some other dinky stuff to attend to.

I appreciate all the kind comments!

Pineapple upside down cake and BRCC Blackbeard's Delight coffee make a fine breakfast! :ro::drunks: :drink

Very nicely done Chris! It's been so long since I've seen that movie, will have to watch it again!
Thanks Warren!!
I don't have much beach or an elevator. The kit includes Corsair, the lighthouse and the optional mechanical mumbo-jumbo for the back of the boat. My masts differ from the movie boat. Too much BRCC coffee at play!!

20210718_075631.jpg
The lighthouse keeper's '41 GMC Pickup is done. I will confess I used the magnifier my Honey bought me to apply the silver for the winders. Isn't it cute?!
The pickup isn't my intellectual property, so It won't be included in the kit. It would be a really good trick to get the teeny GMC's to mold and cast properly. :hmm:
If they were made in China I would offer them the respect for copyrights the do with every other Nation. :batstinker::tomato:

Back