• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 "The Deep" dive boat Corsair and St. David's Lighthouse

IMG_E7822.JPGIMG_E7823.JPG
So I watched The Deep again to figure out what color Corsair was in the movie. She's Lellow. A truly ratty looking paint job at that. As if Treece had paid old Adam Coffin paint the boat with a broom.
My closest friends know how I feel about that color. A combination of superstition and tradition. I mixed some Model Master Sandgelb and Testor's PLA flat Lellow and slopped on the abhorrent shade. I shortened the winders, except for the portside cabin door and cut off the pour stub. I'm calling Corsair done. Nothing this scale gets displayed without a base. Lest some ill wind blow your tiny model into the grass outside the venue. What to do? Hmm.........................

I found a hunk of pink cellulose insulation on a job site. I broke off a piece to make an escarpment to put the St. David's Lighthouse on. The keeper's house isn't my intellectual property, so I cain't sell it. It may be a bonus free part in the kit.

IMG_E7826.JPGIMG_E7827.JPGIMG_E7828.JPG

I wanted a little spit of beach in the lee of the cliff face at the waterline. Things went ok until I accelerated the CA glue to make the beach. What I got was a huge cave instead. (with the stink of melting pink cellulose insulation :stinker:)
Note to self: Only acrylic/water based products on stinky pinky cliffs! There is still more work to do on the cliff, but it isn't part of the model or kit.

An accident to be sure, but interesting nonetheless. When the base is done, the cliff will go in the corner, with Corsair cruising by on her way to steal more treasure from dead Spaniards in the Bermuda area. Figures will not be visible. With or without 0.0514285714285714" boobs. (Thanks John!!:lol:)
Thanks Mike for all the Vallejo paint I used on the cliff!

Disclaimer:
St. David's Light is inland from the ocean, not on a sheer cliff-like escarpment. Romer Treece' house truly doesn't look like this English country house. The mast rig on Corsair is much more complex than the boat in the movie. I still have add a SATCOM antenna to the main mast to satisfy my mariner's needs. This was a fun build and promoted imagination and downright bullschtein!

I was overjoyed recently to get a new smartphone. My apple iPhone crashed to 0.0514285714285714 battery charge in just under 2 hours every day. It turns out Apple gets the last laugh after all. The camera on my LG sucks so bad I have to keep the Turd iPhone around to take and crop decent pictures of my dinky models.

I'm calling this entry for Micro Modeler's Month complete. Even if it is Lellow. :facepalm:
Thanks for looking in!
:salute::oldguy::skipper:

The invisible part of the cavern is filled with white glue, so that takes a while to dry. Cobblestone path to the lighthouse, grass and maybe a couple of bitty wire trees will populate the top of the cliff. My hope is that the base doesn't overpower the boat model. Perhaps a lurking Great White shark in the water as well.

Thanks Guys!

20210410_095313.jpg
Rivets, PEE 1/700 figures and a Nickel for scale. I have doubts a pair of rivet-itties will fit on one figure. :hmm:
I'll have a go, just to find out then, Shall I?

Good ol' Greg Tost sold me some MiG acrylic water. I finally tried it out!
20210615_173157.jpg20210615_173259.jpg 20210615_173334.jpg
Base coat in shades of white, light gray and green. Apply the acrylic water with a wide brush, use PVA glue to put pieces of less-than fresh kitty litter for the rocky coastline, then Tamiya clear blue for a Bermuda-ish Caribbean sea overcoat. It looks ok so far.
(Note! Acrylic water takes a while to cure! Keep yer friggin' fingerprints out of it!!)
I still have a long way to go. Thanks to Iron Mike for insisting I guy some cool MiG stuff from Greg! It seems thinning Acrylic Water may prove prudent.

Thanks for looking in!

My "water" is a confused mess. No running swell and no real influence from the direction of the wind. I spent a lot of time out on the Big Blue, so I know better. I rushed it to get to Omacon without the flying house. :bang head
Tip! A little bit of MiG Acrylic water goes a LONG way!
A do-over is in order.
Thanks to everyone for your kindnesses! :salute::oldguy::skipper:

20210622_185153.jpg20210623_080725.jpg
Do-over underway. Stynylrez white primer, with shading for the bottom of the sea. MiG water has a slight blue hue to it, but it's nearly clear. The water off Bermuda is so clear you can clearly see the bottom in 24 feet of water. Perhaps a bit of sea life as well!
Thanks for looking in!

Back