• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya Panzer 38 E\F

DennisMcQ

I have been away from modeling for quite awhile now due to a move to a much smaller home with a lot more land. I really don't have much room or time for modeling but I have decided to make time as it is important to me. I pulled out a Panzer 38 I got for my birthday awhile ago. I wanted to wait to post anything until I was past a certain point and I was certain that I will finish the build.

Black primer

Grey base coat

Modulation and highlights

Decals and detail painting

Once I make it to the oils the build has rounded third and is heading to home plate.

I am about half finished with the oils.

Nicely done! It doesn't appear that you've been away or at least haven't lost your touch. Welcome. (y)

I finished the weathering with the oils.

Now I will do some washes to enhance the shadows. Since I used oils it will need to dry for quite some time.

I am trying a new technique (at least to me) I like to refer to as anti-drybrushing.

I mix some oils to a good shade of dust using some dark browns, buff, and white.

I rub this in with a stiff brush making sure I get it into the corners and hard to reach spot to simulate the first layer of dust and dirt.

This also does something I do not want which is the old school style of dry brushing with highlights on the raised surfaces.

I let it sit for an hour or so and then take a brush with just a trace of mineral spirits and remove the highlights from the raised surfaces and leaving it in the recesses. Hence anti-drybrushing.

This will just serve as a base for pigments later on as I feel pigments over a plain base coat doesn't look quite right. I like a layer underneath that the pigments help blend.

Unfortunately this is a 1/48 and the camera on my phone just doesn't pick it up very well.

Anyway
2016-15-5--11-37-38.png

2016-15-5--11-38-16.jpeg

2016-15-5--11-38-44.jpeg

Very impressive for such a small vehicle,I thought my 1/35 was small,but 1/48 wow,really looks good !!

Back