• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya Panther WIP

Gambit

I started on this kitty a few weeks back and the construction is a breeze. The only modifications I made was to:

1. Replace the handles with copper wires.
2. Use placard for the skirt armor.
3. Use surfacer 500 to apply some rolled steel effect on the chassis and turret.

I started with a gloss black pre-shade and continued painting only last weekend when it stopped raining. I could only do until this stage before it got dark..

Panther G by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Last night I continued with the paint job and managed to complete the first coat of German Yellow.

I would probably do a two color camo of an "unknown unit" so that I could have more artistic license... but this should be a late war Panther.

I think I will stop using gloss black as pre-shade next time because as a result I had to apply so many coats of German Yellow to cover them! To be honest I am not really happy with the result so far; I got better vibes when I was at a similar stage when I was doing my Puma.

Hopefully things will look better when I apply highlights to lighten the paint job.

Thanks for reading, comments are welcomed.

The unknown unit is my favorite! You can go where your imagination takes you and it is so much more fun!! Looking sweet so far, keep the pix coming!! (y)

Didn't get to do any painting last night when I got home as the clouds were gathering at my place.

I ordered Panther PE engine grill set online but the status is still pending; so I decided to build my own engine grills from packaging material found on my wife's perfume.

15 minutes work to outline and cut the shape; abit out of scale for 1/48 but it's better than nothing.

Well I think the paint looks great. I like the effect. :hmmm

B)

Didn't get to do any painting last night when I got home as the clouds were gathering at my place.

I ordered Panther PE engine grill set online but the status is still pending; so I decided to build my own engine grills from packaging material found on my wife's perfume.

15 minutes work to outline and cut the shape; abit out of scale for 1/48 but it's better than nothing.

Man thats looks great!
Here in Brazil we have to do alot of Scratch, because the materials are to $$$ to buy everthing overseas... :blink

I started on the highlights tonite; added 'sail' to 'german yellow' until I get the shade that I liked and started applying on the panther to create highlights and dark areas.

The panther looks much better compared to yesterday. Tommorrow will apply the second camo color; Green.

Thanks for reading.

It looks great. Good work on fabricating those grills. I'm finding my self saving things like that and saying" Oh, ... I could use that for a modeling project." Sometimes I even say it outloud. :laugh:

Keep up the good work,

Bill

Thanks guys for the comments, keep them coming! :soldier

Applied second color to complete the camo scheme today using free hand.

Hand painted the wheels but not the tracks yet.

:P

Quite awhile since my last update; alot of work was done intermittently and now I am almost at the finishing line:

1. The tracks were painted and weathered using Tamiya weathering stick.
2. Light colored paint chips added using sponge technique.
3. Dark colored paint chips added using sponge technique.
4. Rust streaks applied using oils.
5. Oil stains applied on engine hood and other areas that I think should have oil stains :P

Panther by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Cheers!

Nicely done! I really like the fading of the paint and the streaking is very believable. (y)

Thanks, there is still alot of work to be done. The tracks need more mud and the spare tracks need more rust. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon and move on to my next project :)

Back