• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Tamiya JS-2 Heavy Tank

Jeeves

Throwing this one into the ring-- will put it into a scene with the truck I just finished....
006~56.jpg

007~52.jpg

HOT DOG!!! SOME ARMOR.... :frantic

I'll be watching this one.

Terry (y)

So far-- fit is typical Tamiya-- sweet! They did away with the cast metal hulls-- and instead in the case of this tank-- replaced them with bar weights that you insert into braces along the bottom of the hull...
001~71.jpg

Doesn't leave much room for any aftermarket engines or interiors, does it? Not that they make them...

I wonder why no one has thought of making cast metal interiors and engines?? They would double as adding weight and would look very cool!

Ok - I just need to ask, maybe I'm missing something. But what is the point of the weights? I don't understand!!!!

(Sorry to hijack)

Mike

No idea ;) Not like I'll be driving it through the snow :tomato

It does give it a good feel I guess...

Did the grab handles on the turret last night and glued them on...
001~73.jpg

And proceeded to knock half of them off adding the turret to the glacis this morning...is 11:30 too early for bourbon? Here we are back on-- need to touch up paint here and there...
005~65.jpg

All better now until the glue sets enough for the touch ups...
006~59.jpg

007~53.jpg

008~41.jpg

Tracks are only half painted so they're next...then the tow cables, figure and turret cover, and weathering....

Pretty sweet so far, Mike! I like the rough turret markings. The weights are to impart a sense of value- as explained to me by a Chinese bud. Light weight? Oh, please!

Now, about that handle-bending tool- what, and where to buy? :D

Cheers!
chuk

Thanks Chuk! Yeah-- this would make a great paperweight when all is said and done :dude

The tool is the Bendicator made by Ausfwerks and sadly it is OOP....I was given this one by a friend who no longer used his and it's been great. The Grabhandler by Mission Models is the only thing I've seen that's close to it unfortunately...

Finish line is in sight-- going to put this in a vignette with the truck I did for the OOB....the white on the tracks is from the Hydrocal I am using for the base-- just pressed this into it to give it some look of weight...

003~74.jpg

001~74.jpg

Not sure I am happy with the tow cables-- I hate the string they give with the kit so I tried using some wire I found in the beading section of AC Moore-- and one pulled off of the cable hook...grrrr....if it looks like crap I'll yank it-- honest opinions everyone ;)
002~70.jpg

Almost missed this little gem!
Yes those little tamiya kits are really nice to work with, have a Tiger2 and a KV1 laying here myself

Looking forward to see the next step Mike :)

//Mats

Looking good Mike.

I'm a bit confused regarding the JS-2 cupola now. Your kit (box art too) has the hatch opening side to side, but on my 1/16 Tamiya, it's front to back. Did the hatch itself rotate?

Nice to see the Bendicator in use. Believe or not, I don't even have one, I only have a prototype. ;)

Thanks Jeff!

That's a sad state of affairs ;). I don't get to use it often- but when I do, it really rocks ;)

I think the cupola does rotate- or at least it seems so from its design...but I could be wrong?

Back