• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Hobbycraft Cf 100 Mk V CLunk

Tankbuilder

Hello there again.

Whilst I'm working on my Hobbycraft 1/48 scale CF-100 Mk.IV model and have to wait for parts to cure or joints to set up I decided to reattach many parts cut off of that model onto my 1/48 scale Mk.V Clunk that was the donor of many panels for the Mk.IV model. Panel openings in the Mk.IV were cut out slightly undersize and the panels for those openings were cut out slightly oversize from the Mk.V.

There is very little difference between the Mk.IV and the Mk.V kits.

The Mk.V Clunk was a High Altitude variant and it had straight wing extensions on the main wings and extensions on the horizontal stabilizer. The other main differences in the two models is that the Mk.V did not have the belly gun pack and therefore also didn't have the gun sight in the front of the pilot.

Here's an image of the Mk.V and the Mk.IV models showing the extensions on the Mk.V It also shows the reattached panels with the white styrene filler pieces prior to sanding to fair them in.

This image shows the panels after they were puttied and sanded smooth to fair everything in again.

This is an image of the belly of the Mk.V and shows the area where the gun pack was on the Mk.IV but is faired into the fuselage on the Mk.V. Note. If you want to build a Mk.V ECM (Electronic Counter Measures) model of the Clunk you can do that by modifying the belly pack fairing .

Since this model is going to be as an in flight model there wasn't the same need to extensively rework the kit cockpit. However since I bought the aftermarket cockpit set for my Mk.IV Clunk it meant that I had lots of cut apart kit parts that I needed to reassemble into a cockpit for the Mk.V.

The biggest job was adding pieces to the rear bulkhead of the cockpit tub in order to fill the gap that resulted from removing the canopy rails to use on the Mk.IV. The kit cockpit side instrument panels are molded at 90 degrees to the side of the cockpit tub when they should be tilted up about 15 degrees. I heavily scored the panels on the outside then tilted them up and added vertical supports made from scrap styrene to support the panels.

Here are few images showing those modifications.

In the area between the pilot and the radar operator there's a transverse piece/deck that holds the bailout warning light for the radar operator and also the clear Plexiglas windscreen around it that was added to enable the radar operator to eject. The kit molds this light and support as an integral part of the cockpit on the fuselage. I happen to have a string of tiny LEDs that are amber, green and red. I put one of the amber ones in my pin vice and then used a circular saw blade in my Dremel tool to cut off a section of the light to use as the bailout warning light. Here`s an image of those lights and a cut off amber and red one.

I`ll be using the kit seats in this model because they`re not that bad if you have the crew sitting in them.

Thanks for looking. Comments are appreciated as well as welcomed.

Cheers from Peter

Back