• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A Done!

nerdling

Going to be trying my hand at the Accurate Miniatures P-51 kit. I hope this kit is as nice as their other kits I've tried. I'm adding in some Verlinden resin stuff to bring the cockpit up to par. So far all I have done is clean the resin stuff up. This stuff is actually very nice to work with. Unlike the Lone Star stuff I am struggling with on the Kingfisher.

IMG_7487.JPG

IMG_7488.JPG

IMG_7489.JPG

1/48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A

Like Phil says, dry fit, dry fit, dry fit. Its not a bad kit but it does have a couple of small challenges.

Here we go. Time for some beginning shots. So far I have the resin all cleaned up and the cockpit has been painted interior green. Still have to do all the detail painting. Also have the beginnings of the engine painted. Did some carving and hacking to get the firewall figured out. I had to cut out the front of the wheel well to get it to fit. Luckily the landing gear doors were closed on the P-51A unless the gear were cycling up and down. So my hacking will be hidden from view.

IMG_7566.JPG

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7570.JPG

IMG_7569.JPG

Had a small mishap with the wing. It was very warped so I tried to soften it in hot water and I guess left it in just a bit to long so it was unusable. As luck would have it I had another P-51 parts kit in the stash. The only issue was that it had the 20mm cannons which meant I couldn't use the weapons bay. But I'll just save that for another build. So here she is as of right now. Just getting her ready for sanding and putty.

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

P-51.jpg

I will have to piece together the decals from the decal stash. I think I will go for something different like the plane in the background on the left.

There's some excellent pics of P-51A's being transported through Liverpool (my home town), via the Mersey Tunnel and re-assembled at Speke Airport (now Liverpool John Lennon International). If you're interested, Ryan, I could post them here...

...it's up to you.

Ian

There's a series of these - see if anyone can spot the 'odd-one-out' !! After arriving at the docks in crates they were driven through town to the Lockheed re-assembly facility at Speke Airport:

Fuselage & wings were 'mated-up' and the fuel system & electrics added:

Eventually they got around to adding the fins, probably after a tea-break !!

Before being wheeled outside for ground-running, pre-flight & testing. The machines in these pics were all allocated to various 'Army Co-Operation' Squadrons.

Ryan, thanks for letting me hi-jack your thread, you can have it back now !! - BTW did anyone catch the 'odd-one-out' HUGE prize for anybody who does... or not, I might just be making that bit up :blush:

AFN, got to get back to my P-51 now.

Ian

Back