• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 Academy F-18C

Paulw

I started this a couple of weeks ago and while I was going strong I goofed up a wing panel with a hair dryer... :facepalm Yeah, I know. So I searched on how to get another wing panel but MPC didn't have any replacement and I couldn't come up with anything other than getting another kit. After the new kit arrived I found that guy on Ebay that sells kits by the sprue and he just so happened to have the correct sprue that I required.

Ok so now I wait for the sprue to arrive this week but I went head on and grabbed the part from one kit to finish the other. Here is the result.

I did manage to get the pit and fuselage together but I think I need to have the Eduard interior for it. The other kit already had that started when I got it.

I think that this is one of my worst pits ever, Oh well, what's done is done.

This is a pretty big bug and it does assemble well. I cant wait to finish it except all the odd stencils.

__

I spent a lot of time today just assembling landing gear. You know the drill. Glue,let it dry, paint and weather. That took almost four hours just trying to get it right along with a pork roast in the crock pot and a nasty litter box my day is spent.

For weathering the main gear bays I used black Tamiya panel line accent and I really like the way it flowed. In my opinion it looks good also.

Tomorrow Ill go and paint all those separate lines and then maybe get more done to the fuselage.
I did manage to get the gear all weathered also.

For that I used Humbrol decal fix and Vallejo dark gray pigment as a pin wash. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference other that the latter is easier to build up.

Have a great evening.

Things are going wrong in Hornet land....

Here are a few issues that I am having with this build so far. I am convinced that the wing assembly , intakes and turtle deck are out to get me. Wings being really my fault but I dont know where I went wrong here but after I tried to remedy this problem I figured out a way to do it on the next kit to alleviate this from happening. Going along with the instructions I wound up with gaps between the flaps and ailerons. big gaps so I sort of forced fit them and glued them tight which left an uneven step as seen in the pics.

This is looking like one of my very first builds but I think I'll just use this kit now as a learning experience.

I read a review that this kit did have a prob with the intakes so I will be ready for my next kit and know where to go from there.

The turtle deck seemed to go on good bur after a bit I wound up with a serious seam/step.

Then when I put the nose piece top on I wound up with a small one which can be filled and straighten up.

As far as all the glue mess I am sure that I can clean that up and maybe make those wings look some what resembling a wing. As far as the turtle deck goes I will see if I can remove it and come up with some sort of a solution. I am too far in this kit to shelve it but I do want to get it done in the next couple of weeks.

Hi Paul

I think you are doing a great Job on this very big bug.

I had terrible issues with the Hornet 1/72 from Academy, similar to yours now. Some I could fix, some I wasn't able to. I am sure that you will handle it nicely. Keep going.

Cheers

Alex

Back