• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/16 StuG III G

ausf

Master at Arms
I just finished a Stug for IR battling. You might be familiar with Tamiya's 1/16 RC line, but there's also a small market of cheaper, toy quality RC tanks that can be salvaged with a bit of work.

Contrary to my days of 1/35 static kits, use of PE and much detail is a waste of these monsters since they'll likely be knocked off in battle. Everything has to be secured pretty tight and paint relatively secure.

This one started life as a plastic Heng Long StuG, which is roughly StuG shaped, but as mentioned, really just a toy that sells for around $100 RTR.

I gutted the hull, reinforced it with aluminum, rebuilt the guttywuts with Tamiya compatible electronics, added a German sound system loaded with Maybach Pz III engine sound. Added both traverse and elevation as well as proper recoil to the main gun and installed working periscopes to direct the IR signals for battle. The missing bolt hole on the mantlet holds the IR emitter to fire along the axis of the main gun. The Notek and convoy light are functional with SMD LEDs, the convoy light tube is satin black when off, green when lit. There's a white LED in the muzzle (club rules dictate there must be a visible flash when firing).

After that, I went on to the modeling side of it, using Aves to add waffle zim and brass stock to make the removeable Schurzen. All the detail bits were spares from other kits, the tow cables picture frame wire. It's painted with Vallejo primer and colors, Dunkelgelb with a green disruptive pattern. After that, Future, washes, and dry pigments.

My goal was to create something that's been through the wringer, a tired old vet showing age with remnants of camo. The tarps are mainly to cover really bad shortcomings in the models or spots were bolts, etc were necessary for the mechanical stuff.

Here it is, let me know what you think:

stg1.jpg

stg2.jpg

stg3.jpg

stg4.jpg

stg5.jpg

stg6.jpg

That is really cool. Okay to me IR means infra red, what does it mean in this case? When you guys use these is it one against one or in units? Also how do you keep score if you fight these?
It souonds very interesting.
James

Thanks James.

Yep, it's the same emitter used on remotes, only it sends Tamiya's code. The receiver registers the hits with a preset rating; Heavy, medium, light. Say a Tiger (heavy) fights a M4 (medium). The Tiger will take 9 hits from the M4, but will fire at a rate of 9 second reload time. The M4 will be destroyed after 5 hits, but reloads after 5 seconds.

This StuG is a medium, but there are Shermans that are heavies (Fireflies, Jumbos) , etc. As the hits mount up, function drops, the tanks move slower, etc. There are sophistated systems that register according to armor thickness and damage registers on the side of the hit, say right tread, etc.

There are also repair tanks too. There are some huge club battles with squadrons of tanks, but most of my battling is in my backyard with my sons. Battles get intense.

So very cool! OK so I'm thinking that these big scale builds could really go overboard with detail, working hatches and stowage bins but what you say makes sense. Don't want that stuff flappin' around in the middle of combat. But it is a great pallet for some larger scale paint schemes and effects. (y)

You can take them as far as you want, when Tamiya first relesaed their Tiger I, Aber came out with a full kit that was a coupla hundred bucks worth of brass. Actually, the fire extinguisher holder on this is leftover from my Tiger Aber kit. I originally built it as a mid production Das Reich, but eventually switched it to an Initial, so it's bare bones now.

It's different type of detailing with these. Adding concrete armor or sandbags on a Sherman make sense, but working PE clamps are just asking for trouble, especially if you roll it.

My son inherited my Tammy Tiger and rolled it off a wall, down three concrete steps. It kept fighting and I laughed it off, but if it was covered in Aber, it'd be a lot different.

Wow realy looking good Jeff (y) (y) Love the battle damage you did very convincing! Also the detail is realy great, like a static model (and I mean that as a compliment) (y) (y)

Cheers Erik

This model is just superb, after seeing models that are weathered to this high standard makes me want to try some armor models. :)

Matrixone

Thanks guys, you're too kind.

Every bit of weather and damage is there to cover up some flaw or connection point. There are much better examples than I could ever produce.

So John, you're saying my StuG is like the Pamela Anderson? B)

Back