• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/144 Hobbycraft F-14

maus

A late start due to being on exercise down in the United States. I grabbed this oldie out of the stockpile, I am building it straight out of the box and hope to have it down by the end of the month.

James
h9b445bd.jpg

Two days of work has gotten me this far. I built this kit once or twice when I was a kid, funny I don't remember this being a horrible kit. Lots of putty, no cockpit, and the decals are only very basic and really make no sense WRT Sqn markings or paint scheme. The wheels and arrestor hook are way out of scale just to identify different issues. On a happy note once I finish the kit it will be my first complete airplane in my new house. :)

he592277.jpg

I have been slowly plugging away at the F-14, I almost went into a tail spin when I put the kit down for two days and didn't touch it. The Tomcat has been primed and painted in overall grey which was a paint scheme used in the mid / late 80's as the fleet transitioned to all lo-vis. I found a colour plate in one of my reference books that has the aircraft all over grey with Hi-vis markings.

James

h8b50aa1.jpg

Well, I'll see how the next day goes with this little model, the canopy needs some work and my first dull coating didn't go as planned. I put a light wash along some of the panel lines to highlight some features. Not the best kit I have built but looks like an F-14, lol. Regardless of outcome its going on my shelf as my first plane completed in an very long time as a skills marker. :)

h9519cec.jpg

Thank you everyone.

Calling this done, I tried a few new things with the kit and I am happy with the way it turned out. This is the first a/c i have tried highlighting the panel lines, as well fairly happy with how the canopy turned out. Also, this is the first time I have tried Tamiya flat clear (XF-86), I am very impressed with the results.

James

he0814a2.jpg

heacc142.jpg

Back