• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

The return of Luft'46

matrixone

After feeling a bit down the past few days I decided to snap out of it and get back to modeling and there is nothing better than building some Luft'46 models to get the mojo back. B)

Below are the box tops of the two models that were just started.

h611e11a.JPG

The Huma Ju EF 128...as expected with an older limited run kit some putty and sanding will be needed.

he5dda45.JPG

A real gem of a kit is this Revell Ho 229, it has some nice detail for a low cost 1/72 scale kit. (y)

hb6fb459.JPG

h63daf8c.JPG

I don't know if the canopy with this kit will be a problem like the Revell Me 262 I finished a few weeks back but at least its clear.

Matrixone

Thanks guys.

Dave,
That's good to know the Ho 229 canopy is free of defects like what the Revell Me 262 had.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for the Ho 229 kit but it was not very much and now wish I had bought a couple more of them...its that good. (y)

Matrixone

Some more work done on these two, just some basic construction and painting.

Ju EF 128

h38d5957.JPG

h67c5413.JPG

Ho 229

hc405cbc.JPG

h6c8d04e.JPG

The Ju EF 128 has had a small amount of weight added to the nose before the fuselage halves were glued together, the model might not have needed the weight installed to balance properly but I decided to play it safe.
Both models now have their cockpits detail painted and instrument panel decals put on and they look a lot better than the pictures above.
The Ho 229 will be getting the metal panels aft of the exhaust cones painted burnt metall and then I will be using the salt weathering technique to give the area a look of the paint being burned and flaking off.

Matrixone

Thanks guys, these little ones are speeding along and I just finished using super glue to fill any low areas on the seam line gaps on the fuselage of the Ju 128, the same has been done on the leading edges of the Ho 229 wings.

I should be able to start painting them later this week.

Matrixone

I never did get as far as I wanted to with these models, the Revell Ho 229 did go not together as well as I had hoped with the nose being the biggest problem.

he6adce7.JPG

hcdb7cd8.JPG

ha2a6a62.JPG

Another Luft'46 model I will be building.

h93f8f53.JPG

Matrixone

:facepalm and here I was told the HO 229 was a good kit :coolio That's disappointing :bang head .

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Guys.

Christian,
No, the Revell kit is not perfect but for 1/72 scale it gives you some pretty good detail and for the price I rate this kit pretty highly.

The nose and wings did not fit on the center section all that well, the nose is the worst thing about this kit so far and needed some trimming to get the best possible fit but even then some minor filling and sanding was needed which erased some of the fine detail molded into that area.
After the nose was fitted to the center section I had the chance to do some dry fitting of the canopy and this was very good, vastly better than the canopy fit to the 1/72 scale Revell Me 262 I built earlier this year.

Whatever the fit problems I come across on the Revell Ho 229 will pale in comparison to the Dragon Me 1101. :blink

Matrixone

Thanks Guys.

Christian,
No, the Revell kit is not perfect but for 1/72 scale it gives you some pretty good detail and for the price I rate this kit pretty highly.

The nose and wings did not fit on the center section all that well, the nose is the worst thing about this kit so far and needed some trimming to get the best possible fit but even then some minor filling and sanding was needed which erased some of the fine detail molded into that area.
After the nose was fitted to the center section I had the chance to do some dry fitting of the canopy and this was very good, vastly better than the canopy fit to the 1/72 scale Revell Me 262 I built earlier this year.

Whatever the fit problems I come across on the Revell Ho 229 will pale in comparison to the Dragon Me 1101. :blink

Matrixone

Hmm , I have the Revell kit but I a also have a couple Dragon kits laying in wait.

The only one I have ever assembled is a TA 152 and I though it to be rather good . All I seem to hear about Dragon have been horror stories.

Cheers, Christian B)

Back