• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shelf Queens - Completed

Here's my latest on my one Shelf Queen I've been working on: the Space Shuttle Shelf Queen. I started out with what I felt was the hardest part: scratchbuilding a forward bracket for the front of the Shuttle. I tried to make this in such a way that the Shuttle would be able to 'snap' into place so I could remove it from the fuel tank for transport. This is also why I made it a bit longer than the lower one:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXXII.jpg

Also, the vertical tail comes off for transport. Now it fits in one of my flat tubs.

With a little finagling, I was successful with that forward bracket; this beastie snaps into place well. After that, I finished painting and detailing the exhaust bells and then mounted them on the shuttle. They actually have more steel-colored metal showing which the pic does not reflect. The copper colored appearance was my attempt to make these look like they'd been weathered/burned in a previous launch:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXXIII.jpg

Finally, I unmasked the windscreen and upper windows and touched up the edges:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXXIV.jpg

I could finally call this Shelf Queen done!

Here she is, my latest model finished this month. This is the Monogram 1/72 scale Space Shuttle with Boosters finally completed. I did her up as the Columbia:

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_I.jpg

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_II.jpg

This model is over two feet tall. I placed a 12" ruler next to this model to show how big this is:

Columbia_Space_Shuttle_with_Boosters_IV.jpg

This thing had been a problem sitting on my workbench for the longest time. I'm so thrilled to have finished it! Now I have a different problem: Where am I gonna put this?

Back