• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Shelf Queens - Completed

Mark,
Great job.
I know you wanted to put this back on the shelf, but you drove it to the finish line.
I purchased two engines for the Aurora/Monogram kits to convert them to the -200/T-43.
That may be my next large plane to start.
First the B-36, Su-24, B-35, DC-130, C-118, C-141 have to be finished.
That is my goal for the next two months.
Frank

You got it done Mark! Looks good in the photos my friend! These large decal beasts are difficult at best and you had to deal with that problem. (y) (y) (y)

I have found that dealing with disasters is the best way to improve my modeling. Doesn't mean I like it, but boy have I learned a lot by doing it.

Mark,
Great job.
I know you wanted to put this back on the shelf, but you drove it to the finish line.
I purchased two engines for the Aurora/Monogram kits to convert them to the -200/T-43.
That may be my next large plane to start.
First the B-36, Su-24, B-35, DC-130, C-118, C-141 have to be finished.
That is my goal for the next two months.
Frank

Thanks Frank! I did want to put it back, but I was even more tired of it being on the shelf so I powered myself through. I'll be interested in seeing the 737-200/T-43. I have another of these 737's in the stash that I might consider doing a similar thing with.

That's a great lineup of large aircraft to do. My list of large aircraft I want to do is:

-> finish the C-118; another four-year Shelf Queen.
-> 1/72 scale DC-9
-> 1/72 scale Super G Constellation
-> Shinmeiwa Japanese flying boat.

If I can finish them, then I have the EC-121 and a C-54 to do as well.

Looking forward to seeing your big planes Frank!

You got it done Mark! Looks good in the photos my friend! These large decal beasts are difficult at best and you had to deal with that problem. (y) (y) (y)

I have found that dealing with disasters is the best way to improve my modeling. Doesn't mean I like it, but boy have I learned a lot by doing it.

Thanks Paul! You are right, there's a lot to be learned when dealing with disasters and I hate it too. The lessons learned do help with future builds though. That's why this coming year I hope to get started on some of these other large planes listed above.

This is my EC-121D.
h195806d.jpg

Frank

Beautiful Frank! I was going to do mine all in grey, but that looks even better. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the pic.

Well, it's the second day of a new year and yesterday I actually finished a Shelf Queen of four years. This beastie fought me like the Boeing 737 did but I am more thrilled with the finish of this model that the other.

I present to you my first model of 2019, the Heller 1/72 scale C-118 transport plane:

USAF_C-118_Transport_I.jpg

USAF_C-118_Transport_II.jpg

USAF_C-118_Transport_III.jpg

It feels good to start the year with this thing out of what's left of my hair. Unlike the Boeing, I think I'll be taking this to contests. It most likely won't place, but it's gonna look great on the tables!

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome!

Excellent.
That is one great looking aircraft Mark.
It does feel good to get them completed.
Now I have to finish my C-118.
Frank
(y) (y)

Thanks Frank! I'll be real glad to see yours finished so I can see how it's supposed to be done right! LOL! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Your compliments are most appreciated. Now I'm gonna see what other large planes I can screw up this year.....

Outstanding! That is one rocking plane man! It's size does make it a bit difficult to photograph though....

I'm loving it, can't wait to see more.

Meanwhile, here's another serious Shelf Queen I've started working on again after having it sit for three years on the bench. I finally did what I've been needing to do for awhile. The booster rockets needed to be masked so the stripes on them could be painted. I also needed to paint the tail, so that got masked too:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXa.jpg

I used up all my Tamiya 1/2" tape on that.

Using my trusty Sotar 20/20 airbrush, I painted all the black, red and yellow stripes and the yellow boxes at the top of the boosters:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXb.jpg

While that was drying, I decided to assemble all the possible payloads for the shuttle. I am hoping to put down a full display with labels showing everything the shuttle can carry in front of the model itself. Here they are all assembled. Gotta look them up to see how they should be painted:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_Payload_I.jpg

While that was drying, I also painted the grey on the leading edge of the shuttle wings and then removed all the masking on the shuttle itself and snapped the tail in place. You can also see a preview of the lower sections of the boosters with their masks removed:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXc.jpg

Here are the boosters all unmasked:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXd.jpg

But wait, I still needed to paint the vertical channels as well, so I masked off the channels for paint:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXe.jpg

...and then painted them, removing the masks when they were dry:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXf.jpg

Then I finished the boosters; assembling them fully. These things are tall!

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXg.jpg

Finally I cemented both booster assemblies to the main fuel tank, completing that whole portion of the model:

WIP_Space_Shuttle_XXIXh.jpg

That box fan behind this assembly is a 24" box fan so you can get a general idea of how huge this beastie is. Now all I have to do is decal the shuttle and then it will be ready for mounting on the fuel tank.

Only one problem though: the forward bracket that holds the front part of the shuttle to the fuel tank broke off and went missing. It is a V-shaped part that I need to find. If however, anyone has a 1/72 scale Monogram Space Shuttle they don't intend to mount on the boosters and fuel tank, I'll be willing to buy that part from you. Please let me know.

I'll keep you posted on this one. I do hope I can find and/or replace that forward bracket soon so I can finish this during this year and not have it sit for another year!

Damn Mark, that's bigger than my B-36.
Where are you going to put it? LOLOLOL
Frank
(y)

LOL! Probably back in a box somewhere, provided I can find one big enough to hold it!

Thank you Ian! I hope to get it finished soon; I am so close I can taste it.

Just a taste of the C-118.
I have not taken many pictures of it.
h11e170d.jpg

Here it is flying formation with the C-97.
Frank

Back