• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 9/26/13

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, that looks great, I really like it. Its really coming together to where you can start seeing what the finished look will be.

I was curious, what is the overall size of the dio? I looked back and didnt see if you had mentioned it anywhere.

Thanks Adam,

The surface of the diorama is 24 inches by 48 inches. (2 feet by 4 feet) (0.69 meters by 1.2 meters).

Shaping up nicely Bob. (y) (y) (y) :popcorn
James

Thank James.

Once more, it is a labor of love! :yipee

Got some more done. I built the extensions that run from either side. Also the gate doors themselves. Also painted the base coats on the entire structure. I added a lot of details to the roof section and the thing that sorta looks like a dormer, but has no windows. It will have the black mesh like the extensions do across the bottom panel that is white.

Gate100_zpsbf713459.jpg

Another angle. The columns and many other details are not as yet permanently affixed. I simply placed them into position for the photograph.

Gate102_zps33bb75bc.jpg

Closeup of the dormer. The trim was made using plastic tube. I used a cutter to cut the tube into dozens of the same length and then attached them to the roof edge. This is a very common practice on the roofs of the temples and gates in Japan.

Gate104_zpsb45fe7f1.jpg
]

Another view.

Gate105_zpsc335c270.jpg

A view of the unpainted doors of the gate.

Gate106_zpsc9d5a213.jpg

Two views of the gate base coated. The flesh painted areas will become a dark red mahogany wood simulation. The front and roof of the dormer will be a bronze patina and the roof will be a grayish black color when finished. There will be some 18 ct. gold painted trim on the tips of the roof edges and here and there accentuating the flipped up roof corners. The gate doors will be mahogany wood with brass and metallic iron corners.

Gate108_zps74b92447.jpg

Another view.

Gate107_zps9e4d3258.jpg

It is at a stage that looks a bit rough. Within a week or so, it will transform to something more pleasing to the eye. The cardboard showing at the bottom of the two extensions will slide into the slots on either side of the gate proper and will not be seen.

Bob

18 ct Gold trim? You're going all out for your daughter! As you should. ;)

Thanks for letting us watch a master...

Regards,

Fantastic work Bob :good:
I can imagine a lot of black, red and gold are gonna be used here :D
I had plans on big dioramas but i never get them started (and i would probably not finnish them either)
looking forward to next update :popcorn
//Mats

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 10/7/13

More stunning work! I am amazed, especially at that gate. It looked incredible even before the paint. Can't wait to see more.

Beautiful work Really enjoy seeing this come together. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
James

In one Dutch word:GEWELDIG! (y) :notworthy

Greetings,Ron.

Why Thanks Ron. Maybe not all that good, but thanks anyway!

Bob

Fantastic work Bob :good:
I can imagine a lot of black, red and gold are gonna be used here :D
I had plans on big dioramas but i never get them started (and i would probably not finnish them either)
looking forward to next update :popcorn
//Mats

Mats, thanks, all you have to do is start. Then just go for it, don't stop till it is finished. I know that sounds simple but that is all there is to it!

Bob

More stunning work! I am amazed, especially at that gate. It looked incredible even before the paint. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks Duke,

As I have never done anything like this before, I appreciate your comment.

I'll wait till it is finished to decide whether it is good or not.

Bob

OK, got some more painted. As you can see, the flesh color was a base coat for the mahogany-like wood simulation. Many of the pieces are just placed in place and not trued or leveled. I am pretty pleased at how it is turning out. That isn't meant as a brag, I just haven't done anything like this before and so far, it is turning out better than I thought. At least it has a real Asian appearance.
all the black and white grid has been glued on, the columns have their first coat of maroon. I finished off the dormer with a bronze patina. What I have to watch is getting it colorful, but not to the point of being gaudy. The colors of Japanese architecture are more subtle than their other Asian counterparts.

Gate201_zps239d19ea.jpg

Gate205_zps34f067a5.jpg

Gate204_zps3cef9506.jpg

Gate202_zpsbba18170.jpg

Gate203_zpsc71a7f89.jpg

Onwards and upwards.

Awesome in the proper (and not in the over used) sense!

Regards,

New birthday project. Japan dio. Update 10/10/13

Oh Yeah, I forgot to add this to the build post. Guess what I got in the mail today! The Samurai Warrior that will become a statue on the pedestal in front of the gate. He will get the patina treatment as did the dormer.

ANDSMF05_zps6a2cd1ba.jpg

Like this photo I took in Japan.

83571665kimpAI0GTokyoApr07178_zpsed950259.jpg

Bob

:yipee

OH. MAH. GAWD!!!!!!

That is so BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was when I saw it last weekend but this is FREAKIN' GORGEOUS!!!

That Samurai is too cool....!

:yipee

Looking great Bob!

Terry (y)

Back