• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 8/19/13

Looking great Bob. Thanks for the walkthrough on using the rock molds. My parents gave me all those rock molds for Christmas a few years ago, and I've had a few idea's for dio's using them, so seeing your walkthrough will be very helpful on how to use them.

I just got back from the Nationals to find this. Tremendous work! I like what I'm seeing and I'm also learning alot. Keep plugging man!

Looking great Bob. Thanks for the walkthrough on using the rock molds. My parents gave me all those rock molds for Christmas a few years ago, and I've had a few idea's for dio's using them, so seeing your walkthrough will be very helpful on how to use them.

Thanks Adam,

There are limitless possibilities to those rock molds. You can also use Cell-U-Clay to cast in them. Even lighter than hydracal, the paper-mache rocks can still be cut and shaped.

I just got back from the Nationals to find this. Tremendous work! I like what I'm seeing and I'm also learning alot. Keep plugging man!

As long as you guys keep watchin', I'll keep pluggin'.

Shwing! this looks great :popcorn

Why thanks, Son,

Hi Bob,

The diorama is really looking the part .

Very nice work. :notworthy :notworthy (y)

Michael :)

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 9/8/13

OK, I've had Ken jones, the longtime editor of Military Modelling magazine and his wife Sandra for a two week visit from merry olde England, so haven't had much bench time. I have finished the paper mache' aspect of the dio. I use it to fill in the rock bluff and add the terrain to the land as well as the islands.

I am trying to capture the rocky terrain of typical Japanese Gardens. Here are a couple of examples. I don't like to copy buildings and landscaping. I just use these for reference.

Gardenpond_zps9922631f.jpg

GardenPond3_zpsd7da0634.jpg

I began by filling in the bluff using Cell-u-Clay. During the process, I ran out and had to substitute Sculpt-a-mold. Basically the same thing, Cell-u-Clay is grey in color and has a longer drying time. Sculpt-a-mold is pure white and sets up very quickly. Not a lot of difference in the two products, I prefer Cell-U-Clay because of the longer working time.

Sculptamold_zpse8cbd129.jpg

Here is a long shot of the bluff.

Bluff01_zpsfe5b470f.jpg

Closer

Bluff02_zps41d0d7ab.jpg

The top of the left side of the bluff.

TopOfBluff_zps606886ee.jpg

The right side of the bluff top.

TopOfBluff02_zps38f89b00.jpg

I buried a lot of rock in the terrain so you can only see the surface.

BigRock02_zps9f9021ce.jpg

BigRock_zps524405d0.jpg

The waterfall turned out just as I wanted it.

Waterfall_zpsd31ee410.jpg

Bottomwaterfall_zps9a68f005.jpg

Here are some shots of the water surface, lots of rocks!

Lakesurface01_zps48932346.jpg

Lakesurface02_zpsb3411fe8.jpg

Lakesurface03_zps62da4df9.jpg

The island on the left of the dio.

leftisland_zpsa46acd9b.jpg

The hexagon cardboard will be a Japanese gazebo.

Gazebo_zps68f58673.jpg

The Sculptamold dried in about an hour. The Celluclay applied yesterday is still wet. I'll have to wait till it dries, then I'll give the entire diorama a coat of a 50-50 mixture of Carpenter's glue and water to seal it. When that is dry, I'll begin painting the rocks first and then the dirt.

Till next time.

:zen

You like sculptamold over celluclay?

Very , very cool Bob , love the way this is progressing !!!

Dear Bob.

...just amazing!...work of art...following with a big attention :good:

:drinks

Luiz

Thanks Glenn and Luiz! I appreciate that!

I've been working out the designs of the large gate that will dominate the diorama and the bridge, where the Major and his Japanese wife walk after their wedding. The gate will be inspired by the following two. The interior will be similar to the following in Tokyo.

shinmon-gate-yasukuni-shrine-big_zpsb5a2dae3.jpg

The roof will be very similar to this one.

chiosakagarden_102_zpsa252e5fa.jpg

I have began getting the dimensions of the bottom portion of the gate. Inside, it will have columns and a huge door with bamboo flooring.

Gate01_zps650db251~0.jpg

The pedestal in the courtyard will be the base for a statue of a samurai warrior about 12th century.

Gate02_zps513d403a-1.jpg

Another view.

Gate03_zpsfb815900.jpg

I know this doesn't look like much now but thought I would show you the steps to get where I'm going. Here is the beginning of a classic Japanese bridge.

Bridge_zps2722a35a.jpg

One last shot. A closeup of what will be the interior of the gate.

Gate04_zps9c51dc35.jpg

Till next time.

It's amazing to see such simple construction techniques turn into something so realistic.

:good: (y) looking good :) are you treating the cardboard with something (lack or something else to make it sturdier) Had the chance to see a demo with Per Olav Lund this weekend and how he makes buildings of isolation foam.
Looking forward to see next step in this massive dioramawork :popcorn
//Mats

I've only used celluclay once, on a dio base I started probably 16 or 17 years ago, and still havent ever finished it, but I found that I really liked celluclay for that same reason. It gave you a very long working time, and didnt have to rush to make sure it was exactly right. Only issue I had w/ is was I was using foamcore board for my terrain base, and the water in the celluclay soaked into the paper backing causing it to pull up from the foam. But a bit of hot glue squirted in between the foam and the paper backing and it laid right back down again.

:zen

You like sculptamold over celluclay?

No, the reverse.

I prefer Celluclay because it has a longer drying time.

Careful Bob, I think those straight pins are way out of scale! haha :yipee

Looks amazing. Thank you for sharing the step by step method. I've got several different ideas floating around my head for dio's, and its really nice to see different ideas being used and how they are used to get the final product.

Back