• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sayonara, Building a 1/35th Japanese Garden.

Next birthday project. A Japanese dio in 1/35th

Got some more done today.

I have to have a perfectly flat and smooth area to make the water. I have always used matt board with a slick finish. The silver area will be the lake. I will use various colors, shades of green and brown to paint the water, then make the waterfall and cover with several coats of polyurethane gloss, as I did in other dioramas, See below.

legacies212_zps5dd31a89.jpg

So, the silver mattboard will resemble the canal water in the above photo.

[
IMG_0446_zpsfed34fe4.jpg

The plywood mish mash may not look good here, but it will be covered with plaster rocks as well as real ones. In and around thos rocks will be filled in with Cell-u-Clay and will simulate dirt collected over eons of time with various plants and trees growing out of them. I made a tier with the plywood that will become the waterfall. I will use clear epoxy resin laid out on wax paper, then I'll place it to conform to the tiers before it is completely cured. Then, I'll use Cell-u-Clay to make the foam at the bottom of each drop, then paint it a greenish white.

IMG_0448_zpsb75f8a34.jpg

IMG_0451_zps3aa66432.jpg

From the top.

IMG_0453_zps3fb5775c.jpg

Next, there will be a massive Gate such as the one below. I won't make a replica, It will be my own design, but something similar.

[
shinmon-gate-yasukuni-shrine-big_zpsb5a2dae3.jpg

The Gate will have a court yard on either side, front and back. The front court yard will be made of some miniature bamboo. We used to have a medium sized box covered with this stuff and when Susan got tired of it and pitched it. I rescued it from the trash and pulled off all the bamboo. I know someday it would come in handy!

[
IMG_0447_zps489fa68e.jpg

Closeup

IMG_0452_zps23364883.jpg

The two front areas will be small islands in the lake. Mostly filled with trees and shrubs, the one on the left will also have a small pagoda.

IMG_0450_zpsae85bf38.jpg

There seems to be a custom to "Marry" twin rocks in Japan. I have seen several versions of this including one in the movie Sayonara. I'll give these the same treatment.

2007-01-19-077_zpse07c6d58.jpg

I'll use cell-u-Clay to shape them to a likeness of the above photo. Then, some heavy string can be made to simulate the heavy rope to "Tie the Knot".

IMG_0449_zps4ab9a2a0.jpg

I always like to have hidden things and meanings in my dioramas, so I did some research. It is common to have white vertical signs near the big gates, so I will have a Japanese sign with the following Japanese characters .

Japanese_Father_zps307e2fa3.jpg

Japanese_daughter_zpse124953f.jpg

JapaneseLove_zpsf91ece9d.jpg

Next step, cast the rocks and dry them in the oven. Susan always appreciates it when I do things like that. Then I will search places with small rocks and stones and glue all of them in place.

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 8/04/13

Shalom Bob.

Wow, this is yet another very ambitious project. I really appreciate you sharing your step-by-step builds with us.

I think I'll be able to learn a lot by follwing this build.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Thanks James and Terry,

Shalom Bob.

Wow, this is yet another very ambitious project. I really appreciate you sharing your step-by-step builds with us.

I think I'll be able to learn a lot by follwing this build.

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Thanks Peter,

I'm glad you enjoy these in progress projects,

Bob

I started creating the rock formations on the bluff. I'll be doing this for maybe another 3 or 4 days.

Years ago, I bought some rock molds from a model railroad shop. I made a diorama with them back in the mid 80s called Arrogance. That diorama is about as close to this one as I have ever done. See below.

Arrogance01_zpsf0289830.jpg

Here are the tools you will need. First, the molds, (Available at most model railroad shop.) They require some sort of support, I use anything that I have available. This time Humbrol paint tins and some spare resin castings.

molds_zpsdc2397a4.jpg

Then some Hydrocal, available at most hobby shops.

Hydrocal_zps4fc25c07-1.jpg

Or... as an option, plain old plaster of paris. Available at most hardware, lumber yards. I prefer the Hydrocal as it is lighter and has a slower drying time.

Plaster_zpsf161f7fe.jpg

Some water and a measuring cup. A plaster scraper or Joint Knife.

JointKnife_zps9972f23a.jpg

A nylon bucket for mixing.

Pail_zps860e692a.jpg

And a drill and a mixing blade. Available anywhere that sells house paint.

Drill_zps1bc66f7c.jpg

Then you mix the plaster or Hydrocal using a ratio of 2 cups plaster to one cup of cold water. Use the drill to mix it well, then pour into the molds and scrape off excess plaster.

[
moldscast_zps7ded02b0.jpg

I usually wait a couple of days to dry. If not, you can sneak them into the kitchen and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes @ about 200°.

Then de-mold the castings, be careful as they are delicate. Then I let them sit another day. After dry and much lighter than when cast, I use a razor saw and a straight edge to cut them. Breaking them with your hands is possible but very tricky. They never seem to want to break where you want them to. I use Elmer's carpenters glue to attach them to the plywood forms. Once these are completely covered, I will use Cell-U-Clay to fill in between and where there are visible seams.

Bluffcloseup01_zps412cc46a.jpg

Leftsidebluff_zpsd68de45b.jpg

Bluffcloseup_zpsbc277421.jpg

All those slivers you see here to the right of the bluff will be used on the waterfall cascade as in the second photo down.

Rtsidebluff_zps9117c72e.jpg

waterfalls2_zps73534341.jpg

Till Next time,

Bob

Nice although I am reading something marked as August 11th on August 10th...Time Travel, too groovy! Psychedelic man!

Regards

(y) (y) (y) (y)

I watch closely Master :zen

Grasshopper, when you can snatch the plaster rocks from my hand, then it will be time for you to leave. :laugh: :laugh: :zen :zen

Master Po.

Nice although I am reading something marked as August 11th on August 10th...Time Travel, too groovy! Psychedelic man!

Regards

You know Saul, when you're retired, days of the week loose their meaning. I never know what day of the week it is or day of the month either. :idonno :idonno

Bob

You know Saul, when you're retired, days of the week loose their meaning. I never know what day of the week it is or day of the month either. :idonno :idonno

Bob, I know the feeling and I'm not even retired... just tired!

Regards,

Regards,

Shalom.

Great start!

Yesterday I was tired. Todat I'm tired. I guess that makes me retired. VBG LOL

Cheers from Peter

Regards,

Shalom.

Great start!

Yesterday I was tired. Todat I'm tired. I guess that makes me retired. VBG LOL

Cheers from Peter

Thanks Peter,

Why did I know somebody was going to say that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 8/11/13

Finally got the plaster rocks cast, cut and glued in place. The gaps you can see will be filled in with Cell-U-Clay. After the entire bluff is painted and weathered, the cell-u-clay will then be painted Matt 29 Light earth and will simulate the dirt formed on the rocks over the centuries and some will be growing grass, and shrubs and trees.

The waterfall was the most difficult to simulate as I wanted it to have multiple drops for the water that will come later. All these castings had to be cut with a razor saw and this stuff is oh so delicate. I wasted more than I used. Just the slightest move side to side when cutting and the entire piece shatters.

Overall, I am pleased with the way it turned out. Adding the Cell-U-Clay dirt will be a piece of cake.

Plasterfinished091_zps4f90ca7a.jpg

Plasterfinished03_zps35c513af_copy.jpg

A close up of the waterfall.

Plasterfinished02_zpsf26e07cc_copy.jpg

From the left side.

Plasterfinished04_zps83639ffe.jpg

Till next time.

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 8/11/13

Finally got the plaster rocks cast, cut and glued in place. The gaps you can see will be filled in with Cell-U-Clay. After the entire bluff is painted and weathered, the cell-u-clay will then be painted Matt 29 Light earth and will simulate the dirt formed on the rocks over the centuries and some will be growing grass, and shrubs and trees.

The waterfall was the most difficult to simulate as I wanted it to have multiple drops for the water that will come later. All these castings had to be cut with a razor saw and this stuff is oh so delicate. I wasted more than I used. Just the slightest move side to side when cutting and the entire piece shatters.

Overall, I am pleased with the way it turned out. Adding the Cell-U-Clay dirt will be a piece of cake.

Plasterfinished03_zps35c513af_copy.jpg

Plasterfinished091_zps4f90ca7a_copy.jpg

A close up of the waterfall.

Plasterfinished02_zpsf26e07cc_copy.jpg

From the left side.

Plasterfinished04_zps83639ffe.jpg

Till next time.

:good: :good:

New birthday project. Japanese dio. Update 8/13/13

Thanks guys!

A short update. I have been putting in the courtyard and the pathway running from the courtyard, across the bridge and alongside the lake. I made it with 135th Construction Bn. sheet cobblestone with a basswood border on each side. I was originally going to use miniature bamboo strips, instead, I'll use them inside the gate.

courtyard_zps68ac48c7.jpg

The bridge will run between the two sections of cobblestone.

Bridgearea_zpsf213496d.jpg

Looking from the other end.

Path_zpsd1855a4e.jpg

Here is an overview of the dio.

Overall_zpsa3806e0a.jpg

I originally intended to do a wood bridge and made several attempts, none of which I liked so, I'm instead going to make a masonry Bridge. I'll use my old method of cardboard veneered with matt board and plaster, with arches supporting it. This looks very amateurish at this stage, but I wanted to show how it is done step by step.

Bridgepattern01_zps13b5ae97.jpg

Till next time.

Back