• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IJN Egg-Kagi Aircraft Carrier Vignette

I would comment Egg-Kagi is coming along over-easy! A complex and yet outrageous Jap Carrier model to put together!
:captain
:salute

h4e3f3e1.JPG

The Tamiya clear flat/Future/Tamiya thinner cocktail worked!
I took a page from Mike's armor finishing techniques. Pin washes, shading the middle of turrets, dry-brushing to lighten edges. I thought it was too subtle, but I'm happy with the way Egg-Kagi looks so far.

h945cbda.JPG

h822d60b.JPG

Between the main deck and the waterline I think it unlikely Egg-Kagi would get much care while underway.
Given the strict disepline in the EJN in those days, I doubt much rust or paint wear would be seen above the main deck.
This Lady was the flagship of CarDiv 1 and the pride of the Egg-perial Japanese Navy in Her heyday.

Thanks for being part of my fun!
:skipper :salute

"An aircraft carrier is a noble thing. It lacks almost everything that seems to denote nobility, yet deep nobility is there. A Carrier has no poise. It has no grace. It is top-heavy and lop-sided. It has the Lines of a well fed cow.

She doesn't cut through the water like a Cruiser, knifing romantically along. It doesn't dance and cavort like a Destroyer. It just plows. You feel it should be carrying a hod, rather than wearing a red sash.

Yet a Carrier is a ferocious thing, out of it's heritage of action has grown it's nobility. I believe that today every Navy in the World has as it's No.1 priority the destruction of enemy Carriers.
That's a precarious honor, but a proud one"
Written by Ernie Pyle, aboard USS Cabot, CVL-28 in 1945.
Still true today.

h29e9bd6.JPG

h1b27944.JPG

hcd9cfe4.JPG

hf63b930.JPG

h936e004.JPG

Waterline Egg-Kagi, complete with the exception of a few dinky details, a wee bit o'weathering and a final coat of clear Flat. 23mm AA guns & Photo-etch flight deck fittings in place.

Silly in Her inception. Complex in Her execution. This is a FUN model to build!
Egg-Kagi is complete enough to visit The Mad City Modeler's 23rd show in Wisconsin next week-end in Her waterline guise.
Ah, my Friends, fear not! More Chibi-Maru ridiculousness is afoot!

h3c228fd.JPG

Ballast to keep a top-heavy, lop-sided Egg from going Over Easy.

h71a4290.JPG

I was getting ready to gloss black base and Alclad Egg-Kagi's screws.
Tamiya Gold Leaf paint pen instead! :yipee
A misting of Tamiya clear smoke ought to "Bronze them Up" nicely!
:rotf

h0dd6f97_2018-03-06-2.JPG

In Her waterline guise, Egg-Kagi was awarded a 2nd place prize at the 2018 Mad City modelers show.
:yipee :rotf :salute :drool :drinks :good:

Back