• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IJN Egg-Kagi Aircraft Carrier Vignette

h7738a71.JPG

Egg-Dolphin family mold 2.0. I haven't had courage enough cast them yet.
I don't think the plastic mold box liners will be used regularly. Pac-Man ghost molds? :bang head

I bucked up. Mixed the resin.

Poured the molds.

Massaged all the bubbles out while topping off the molds.

Tooled out bubbles I couldn't see.

60 PSI for 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Removed the castings before they cured all the way and got brittle.

hd65193a.jpg

Then the lil' Bastiges swam right past a nuclear power plant melt-down and mutated into these!
Too Fugly! just like the molds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

:rotf

Maybe a retooling is in order?

:drinks

I started Egg-Kagi. I seemed strange to put plastic parts together. The Ship is engineered to snap together.
I used liquid glue on mine. Gaps & such.

hd525463.JPG

hf440d24.JPG

h83dfdeb.JPG

h8f81b05.JPG

I figure I can assemble, then shoot the black up from underneath, and Kure gray for overall gray.

h735d9ab.JPG

Test fit of the flight deck. The fit is impressive for a Chibi-Maru model. Fujimi's plastic sands readily and glues well. For an Egg Ship, there are a LOT of parts!

hece2ed1.JPG

Egg-phin prospective shot. :rotf

Even thought it's a silly kit, the Egg-Kagi accurately depicts the slight up-hill slope of the after flight deck. :good:

he1d015c.JPG

h65b715f.JPG

There a almost as many parts in the Egg-Kagi kit, as there are in the 1/700 IJN Akagi waterline version.
I'm remembering how much fun it is to build someone else's Kit!
HINT! When you install all the gun & range finder platforms, put the supports on FIRST!!

ha0cd485.JPG

Underside shading sprayed this A.M.
I like to airbrush! I hadn't done much of it in a year or so.

hd352390.JPG

In for a Penny, in for a Pound!
Photo-etched parts & wood decking for a more interesting Chibi model! :captain

The first day of the year was a fine day for model making. :zen
I found a gray I liked. :yipee

hfe54ef7.JPG

First Day trap of the Cruise, with Egg-phins for perspective. :good:

h66b72dd.JPG

Green Dragon spotted forward, to make room for whatever else tries to come aboard.
HLJ had these little gems on sale last year, with the P/E & wood deck. I could not help myself. This will be my first use of self adhesive wood decking. I don't like it because I think it's way over scale thickness.
This seems a perfect project for it, since scale is NOT an issue.
Yeah, Fujimi gives you a mask to airbrush the flight deck markings on as well. :coolio

Thanks for looking in! :woohoo:

Note to Self: Apply the wood decking BEFORE you attach the p/e elevators. :smack

h399bcce.JPG

The P/E set comes with expansion joints that go between the wood deck sections. They aren't in place yet.
I dunno. What do you guys think? :idonno

Wow, I think that looks awesome!!

Who would have thought they would make detailing sets for these little kits!

:popcorn :popcorn

Back